Most memorable Olympic moment (1 Viewer)

David Eagar

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 20:03
What would be your most memorable Olympic moment?

namliam

The Mailman - AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 12:03
The day the olympics die!

Come on it is all one big farce and showboat, no longer about 'just entering' but rather about winning and beeing rather expensive.

The money (and water) beeing spend by China for the Olympics can be much better allocated to their people and/or other nations in need.
Much more constructive than some 'olympics', what do we have European/Asian etc Championships and Worl Championships for?? Right! Same thing!

Let it BURN !

redneckgeek

Local time
Today, 06:03
We probably miss most of the memorable moments in the US. Our TV coverage thoroughly sucks. More human interest stories about athletes than actual competition. Pisses me off every time, but I still watch.

Alc

Registered User.
Local time
Greg Louganis hitting his head on the diving board.
I still wince when I think about it.

M

Mike375

Kieren Perkins winning the 1500 metre swim in Atlanta and Mary Lou Retton at the LA games for the gymnastics.

Local time
Today, 05:03
When I think of Greg Louganis and the notorious head hitting, I think of all the controversy regarding the 2 male US divers of that era. Bruce Kimball (won silver to Louganis gold in 84) killed a couple of teenagers while driving intoxicated shortly before the 88 trials. Then Louganis "comes out" and further reveals he had AIDS when he struck his head, bleeding on the diving board.

And the media had a lot of fun when Tonya Harding (husband's hired goon) beat the crap out of Nancy Kerrigan's knee, who went on to beat Harding in the olympics anyway. That was a pretty amazing come back.

redneckgeek

Local time
Women's Beach Volleyball always brings a tear to my eye.

The US beating the Soviets in Hockey in 1980 was a great moment for me.

dapfeifer

Bringing Maverick Mojo
Local time
Today, 05:03
2 words: Kerry Strugg.

Couldn't agree more. This happened when I was only 10 and I still remember vividly watching it on TV. Even if you despise America you had to somewhat respect her willingness to go for another vault with a bad ankle to help secure gold for the US.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Today, 11:03
Did you hear Bush going on about human rights and freedom and free religion?
He forgot to mention "except those we hold in Guantanamo bay"

That to me summed up the hypocritical USA.

Also, what the hell is GWB senior doing there?

But - todays opening ceremony was absolutely brilliant, well done China, knocked the USA effort into touch within two or three seconds of the start.

Col

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
I think Mark Spitz is hard to beat getting 7 golds.

Col

David Eagar

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 20:03
Did you hear Bush going on about human rights and freedom and free religion?
He forgot to mention "except those we hold in Guantanamo bay"

That to me summed up the hypocritical USA.

Also, what the hell is GWB senior doing there?

But - todays opening ceremony was absolutely brilliant, well done China, knocked the USA effort into touch within two or three seconds of the start.

Col

I notice Chairman Mao was a notable absentee from the the ceremony - it seems China has had another memory lapse of their history

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Today, 03:03
My favorite - Nadia Comaneci getting the 10s in 1976.

agua bendita

Local time
Today, 03:03
Heroic performances and scandal capture the world's attention at the Olympics.
From the surprising gold medalists and inspirational athletes to the judging and drug controversies that taint the spirit of the Games, USA TODAY has chronicled the events.
1Retton vaults to fame

Sixteen-year-old gymnast Mary Lou Retton entered the 1984 Olympics with no major international experience. She became the first American, woman or man, to win the all-around after earning perfect 10s for the floor exercexercise and vault.

In the 1996 women's gymnastics team competition, little-known Kerri Strug injured her left ankle on her first vault but gamely attempted a second and stuck the landing to ensure the U.S. women got their first team gold.

Kiwiman

Local time
Howzit

For mine it was Hicham El Guerrouj' 1500 metre win in Athens 2004.
To be so dominant over the distance but somehow missing out on the Olympic title until then, weas hard to believe.

So seeing him actually do it was pretty memorable.

JANR

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 12:03
Eric Heiden who won all the long track speedskate events in the 1980 Lake Placid games, one record that will never be broken. :cool:

JR

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom