Moved from Access 2003 to Access 2019 (1 Viewer)

Lightwave

Ad astra
Local time
Today, 17:29
Hey guys I had been holding out for ages but finally issues with the mdb format has meant I've had to move so rather than muck about with suspect copies of Access 2010 just went for Office 365

and...

My 2003 personal CRM project pretty much worked out of the box - had to change some declaration to PtrSafe relating to the 32/
64 transition and that took all of 5 minutes and then it was a goer..

I will probably never have the will to change the platform of some of my more obscure projects... Just would take too much time...!!!

Given I have three projects that I've put a decade of development into which work just fine for what they were designed this is really great news for me !

The promise of the digital age was always immortality for my access 2003 projects that might actually be the case..

shadow9449

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 13:29
@Lightwave:

Congrats on the upgrade!

• How are you finding the speed of the application using Office 365 compared to Access 2003? Is your application on a network with multiple users?
  • How did you deal with the migration of the Toolbar/Menus to the newer Ribbon format?

Lightwave

Ad astra
Local time
No problems with the speed seems the same. Its not networked but I would be pretty confident that I could make it into an accde and get it networked. I 'm not a massive fan of the toolbar / ribbon but I can live with it. I never used menus before anyway just having buttons in forms to navigate. I prefer the Access 2003 thinner frame but its not a deal breaker... I never really used any activex controls so no issues there and not really used pivot tables... so no issues really.

Recently I've had trouble connecting Access 2003 to postgres and I am hoping moving to 2019 will mean I can now connect to postgres. Access for Extraction Transformation and Load really rocks and still use it to write SQL against SQL Server...

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Today, 10:29
Glad your project was a success!

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
If the conversion was so painless, why are you reluctant to convert the other apps? I'm not saying you have to but at some point Windows will not run A2K and then it will be an emergency.

MajP

You've got your good things, and you've got mine.
Local time
If you did not use a lot of 32 bit API, and did not use a lot of custom menus, and active X then what exactly are you worried about? I rarely ever have any mdb to accdb conversion issues. And if I do it is usually a quick fix. The biggest is the calendar control swap to a custom calendar control

Lightwave

Ad astra
Local time
If the conversion was so painless, why are you reluctant to convert the other apps? I'm not saying you have to but at some point Windows will not run A2K and then it will be an emergency.
Mainly because I have an Access 2003 installation disk so it was free for me for 17 years.. and I literally had no issues at all until last year. I could even connect to MS Azure fine with it.. For a while it was an advantage to design in the oldest version of MS Access and port forward. I am doing less design work in Access now and more with cloud. I still prefer to do ETL with MS Access though and I have a reasonable code library that is very useful.

I have just attempted to connect to Postgres using Access 2019 and it works which is really great because that had stopped working for me with Access 2003. Its an advantage for me to have big int support for connecting to Azure / Postgres

Last edited:

Lightwave

Ad astra
Local time
If you did not use a lot of 32 bit API, and did not use a lot of custom menus, and active X then what exactly are you worried about? I rarely ever have any mdb to accdb conversion issues. And if I do it is usually a quick fix. The biggest is the calendar control swap to a custom calendar control
I wasn't really worried but people in the past have reported issues so I thought I might have more..

shadow9449

Registered User.
Local time
No problems with the speed seems the same. Its not networked but I would be pretty confident that I could make it into an accde and get it networked. I 'm not a massive fan of the toolbar / ribbon but I can live with it. I never used menus before anyway just having buttons in forms to navigate. I prefer the Access 2003 thinner frame but its not a deal breaker

Thanks for the answers. I am still using Access 2003 for development. My biggest holdbacks from updating to a more recent version are speed concerns and the ribbon. I've read reports of apps that work at a good speed under 2003 and then when updated, just get slower with each version. That's why I was wondering what your experience was.

As far as networking, you don't need to use an ACCDE. You just need to split the database (if you want to do it right). I am wondering how the speed compares between newer versions and the old MDB, hence the question.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Mainly because I have an Access 2003 installation disk so it was free for me for 17 years..
Well, the world has moved on and the Access Runtime engine has been free for more than 10 years and although Access doesn't have a built in packaging tool anymore, there are some on the market that are free or reasonably priced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom