Moving items between listboxes (1 Viewer)

cosmarchy

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 16:43
Hi,

I'm struggling with moving items between listboxes on a form.

Currently, I have this arrangement:
1646601285784.png

There are two listboxes, lstLeft & lstRight, a textbox under lstLeft called txtSearch and four buttons, cmdMoveAllRight, cmdMoveRight, cmdMoveLeft and cmdMoveAllLeft, from top to bottom.

lstLeft contains a lot of records (approx 70k) from a table so I populate it with this code when the form opens:
Code:
    lstLeft.RowSource = "SELECT Part, Desc FROM Parts ORDER BY Part ASC"
    lstLeft.ColumnCount = 2
    lstLeft.ColumnWidths = ";;60"

The end goal is to have the buttons move data between listboxes and the search textbox to limit the contents of lstLeft to a manageable range dynamically as you type.

The trouble I'm having is how do you move data between the listboxes? For example when I want to move from lstLeft to lstRight - if I were to iterate through the selected items in lstLeft and then add them to lstRight, I need Row Source Type of lstRight to be set to Value List but I cannot use this method to move from lstRight to lstLeft as the Row Source Type for lstLeft is Table/Query in order to populate from a table when the form opens.
I also need to be able to remove the items I've just moved from one listbox as I'm adding them to the other. As far as I know you cannot remove items from a listbox where the Row Source Type is set to Table/Query...

Is there an easy way to do this?

Thanks

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Just a thought... Check out the similar threads list below.

Sent from phone...

Eugene-LS

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 02:43
Is there an easy way to do this?
Yes, it is possible, but it is better to show it on your specific example.

Can you post a copy of your application with just the form (with subforms) and required tables/queries.
Just a few (fictitious) records to understand.

More:
I have an example - but old and in Russian ... VBA is VBA in any language! Anyway see attachment below.

Attachments

• FromListToList.PNG
    FromListToList.PNG
    16.3 KB · Views: 246
  • FromListToList_MSA2003.zip
    33.1 KB · Views: 272

MajP

You've got your good things, and you've got mine.
Local time
Yesterday, 19:43
I have a class module, that utilizes a subform. So it is completely reuseable in any database with very limited code. With one line of code you can implement it.

Attachments

• FromToList V8.accdb
    2.8 MB · Views: 329

SHANEMAC51

Local time
lstLeft contains a lot of records (approx 70k) from a table so I populate it with this code when the form opens:
I would prefer to use a ribbon form with filtering by a fragment of the name field and a selection checkbox

SHANEMAC51

Local time
The end goal is to have the buttons move data between listboxes and the search textbox to limit the contents of lstLeft to a manageable range dynamically as you type.
at the same time, the form can show not only the article of the product, but also the name, unit of measurement, ... for filtering and by them

when you set the filter =selected, you can print the selection for a comfortable check, then go back to the selection for correction, and not select everything again

and of course, approximately how many positions will be in the selected

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 00:43
Use @MajP 's code - it works and is simple to implement.
Don't bother re-inventing the wheel.

SHANEMAC51

Local time
What is a ribbon form?
tape form (analogous to tabular, continuous) - records with a filter strictly above the data fields - easy to select and view

Attachments

• u_find0305.png
    u_find0305.png
    20.3 KB · Views: 257
Last edited:

moke123

AWF VIP
Local time
Does your listbox return all 70K records?

I may be wrong but I think the limit is around 65K rows and even less for a value list which is limited by the max length of a string.

Edit: A quick test shows 65535 as a limit.

Last edited:

MajP

You've got your good things, and you've got mine.
Local time
As others have mentioned this might night be a good interface for large lists, but this is a very good interface for other things.
If this goal was to pick many specific values from a very large list and persist them.

The trouble I'm having is how do you move data between the listboxes? For example when I want to move from lstLeft to lstRight - if I were to iterate through the selected items in lstLeft and then add them to lstRight, I need Row Source Type of lstRight to be set to Value List but I cannot use this method to move from lstRight to lstLeft as the Row Source Type for lstLeft is Table/Query in order to populate from a table when the form opens.
There is two ways to do this. I take the query and when the form opens I loop the rowsource of the query and basically turn the query into a value list. This allows me to take a large query of records and populate as a value list.

Code:
Private Sub LoadFrom()
  Dim rs As DAO.Recordset
  Dim strAdd As String
  Dim fld As DAO.Field
  On Error GoTo errlbl
  ClearList Me.ListFrom
  If Me.From_SQL = "" Then Exit Sub
  Set rs = CurrentDb.OpenRecordset(Me.From_SQL)
   Do While Not rs.EOF
   strAdd = ""
   For Each fld In rs.Fields
     If strAdd = "" Then
       strAdd = rs.Fields(fld.Name).Value
     Else
       strAdd = strAdd & ";" & rs.Fields(fld.Name).Value
     End If
   Next fld
   Me.ListFrom.AddItem strAdd
   rs.MoveNext
  Loop
  If rs.RecordCount > 0 Then Me.ListFrom.Selected(0) = True
  DisableEnableButtons
  Exit Sub
errlbl:
  MsgBox Err.Number & ": " & Err.Description & " in load From"
End Sub

As far as I know you cannot remove items from a listbox where the Row Source Type is set to Table/Query.
The second method is to maintain a list of Items selected. This requires a lot less code, but a few moving parts.
Each time you select a record you from an insert query an add that ID to the selected list, and if you un select it you run a delete query to remove it. Then the queries are basically for each list
"Select productID, ProductName from tblProducts Where ProductID Not in (Select productID from tblSelected)"
then from list
"Select productID, ProductName from tblProducts where in (Select productID from tblSelected)"

You can modify those to use joins instead, but you get the idea.
I think if you want to make the list FAYT first then move between lists, it will be a lot easier using this latter approach.

Last edited:

SHANEMAC51

Local time
What is a ribbon form?
the example shows the selection by
  • 1- by the name of the product (you can do it by a fragment of the name), if there is a category or units of measurement, then by them
  • 2- by the name of the supplier (you can do it by fragment)
  • 3- by price interval

if the checkbox is 3-position, then you can
  • 1- show only selected
  • 2-show unselected
  • 3- show all

you can make several options at once if you use a numeric or text field instead of a checkbox.

you can print out a sample for analysis , so that after studying it , you can return for correction

the implementation depends on the type of database (local or network),
  • 1- for a local check box can be placed directly in the main table
  • 2- for the network, the auxiliary table must be located together with the forms

moke123

AWF VIP
Local time
I just ran some tests on my Picklist class and found that it fails after about 5000 rows in the source list. It appears the issue is due to the limitaion on length of strings which are created in the process of manipulating the source listbox.

My class takes the source listbox and creates a dictionary object for each list, as well as altering the properties of each listbox. The .Add and .Remove methods of the dictionary work well when passing values between the 2 lists.

Attachments

• ccPickList_v3.accdb
    712 KB · Views: 207

cosmarchy

Registered User.
Local time
Many thanks guys :)

I'll take a look through these examples and see which ones I can best utilize.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
One question no one asked is where is the data? Are the listboxes bound to tables/queries or to value lists. Because moke ran into memory issues, I'm guessing his example is for a value list.

I have an example for a drawing log. It is a form that creates a "transmittal". The transmittal is a group of drawings that are going to the same person for the same reason - approval, for example. The left list starts out showing all the drawings for a job and the right list is empty. As items are selected from the left list and "moved" to the right list, the code uses an append query to copy the selected drawings from the unassigned list to the transmittal. And the left list is requeried so you don't see any items that have already been assigned.

If this is what you are trying to do, I'll post a picture and the code.

moke123

AWF VIP
Local time
Are the listboxes bound to tables/queries or to value lists.
Either way the OP has an issue. A listbox is limited to 65535 rows. The OP stated they had about 70,000 rows. They all wont fit.
The rowsource of a value list is even more limited in that it is a string and is limited to something like 64,000 characters.
I'm guessing his example is for a value list.
My class takes a listbox which is bound to a table and copies all its properties and settings to the other listbox. It then parses out the rowsource sql to create a modified rowsource sql . The dictionaries contain the primary keys which are used in the modified where clause using an "IN" clause - ie, "where PrimaryKey in (. . . )" So the issue I had in the test was the rowsource Sql exceeded the 64,000 character limit. Personally I would never have 70,000 rows in a listbox so it's not really an issue I'd worry about.

The upside is you only need to set up one standard listbox and it's 2 lines of code to utilize the class.

Last edited:

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I agree moke, listboxes and combos are not appropriate for lists more than a few thousand long.

cosmarchy

Registered User.
Local time
The listbox is filled using a select statement in the RowSource. I don't like it that there are so many rows but that is the point of the textbox is that I will be able to filter out unwanted entries thus greatly reducing the number or rows ;)

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I explained my example. The left list is all the drawings for a job and the right list is the drawings going out on THIS transmittal. So, the left box ALWAYS starts out filtered. A large job might have a thousand drawings before it is complete so the list can be pretty long. But showing all the drawings in the database would be silly. The database has hundreds of thousands of drawings only a few of which relate to any particular job.

WHAT are your listboxes used for? Why do they start out totally unfiltered?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom