Solved MS Access Local Host & Internet Host (1 Viewer)

Sarah.M

Local time
Today, 14:34
Hi
As you know if you save as MS Access file as ACCDE we need to make trusted locations to make it work. So my question can I make my local PC as local host to the FE users and let them us MS Access via web pages, then no need to make FE Trusted locations?

Or is there free online host for MS Access?

If you have better ideas to pass Trusted locations plz let me know
Thanks!

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 04:34
Actually, if you distribute ACCDE files, you don't need to set Trusted Locations. All they have to do is click Open on the Security Notice popup window that shows up. Don't they get that window?

Sarah.M

Local time
Actually, if you distribute ACCDE files, you don't need to set Trusted Locations. All they have to do is click Open on the Security Notice popup window that shows up. Don't they get that window?
No they didn't get securty messages
If I make trusted locations it is going to work otherwise won't works

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 06:34
So my question can I make my local PC as local host to the FE users and let them us MS Access via web pages

I am answering this as a very narrow question. You cannot view Access as web pages. The option that would have allowed that got dropped years ago because it just didn't work very well, if/when it worked at all. There IS such a thing as "Remote Desktop Protocol" where you can set up a server as host for RDP sessions. Our user Pat Hartman has posted many articles on the use of RDP or the commercial product CITRIX that uses the protocol. That is technically NOT a web page, but it IS accessible remotely. It is complex enough that I don't want to bore you with the messy details, particularly when there are threads on this forum for RDP solutions.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 12:34
Trusted locations are user specific - it is stored in their registry. And they relate to the FE, not the BE which does not need to be in a trusted location if linked to the FE.

You can use an installer that creates a trusted location and then install the FE in that location. But that means messing with the registry and I'm guessing that with the lockdown from your IT that won't be possible. But you could ask IT whether they can make a known folder trusted through their own devices. I would recommend a location something like

C:\Users\{username}\AppData\Local\{AccessApps}

AccessApps is my suggestion but choose a suitable name for yourself

you would also need a shortcut to this location on the users desktop or suitable location since the AppData folder is usually hidden

There is also a system generated trusted location, it will be something like

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\ACCWIZ\

it's where the access wizards are stored. If they don't work for you at the moment then chances are this won't be an option

go to file>options>trust centre>trust centre settings>trusted locations, you should see it there

however I suspect your IT will have got this locked down as well.

You haven't asked but in case you have not researched it be aware that onedrive and similar systems are not a solution for access due to the way the files are managed.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
No they didn't get securty messages
If I make trusted locations it is going to work otherwise won't works
Hi. If you rename the file extension from ACCDE to ACCDR, would they see the security popup warning then?

Sarah.M

Local time
Hi
I always use this method runtime R to my FE, no security popup warning

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Yes, if I make trusted locations they work If I don't make it trusted they don't work
Interesting. It must be a company network setting. At my work, we are not allowed to set Trusted Locations. But, when I use a ACCDE file, I get the security warning. Clicking OK runs the application, so I don't have to set any Trusted Locations.

At home, I can set any Trusted Location I want. But still, if I use a ACCDE file at home, I will get the security warning if I open it from a folder that is not set as a Trusted Location.

1636217674811.png

So, in my limited experience at my work and home environments, I don't need to set any Trusted Location as long as I use a ACCDE/ACCDR file. I guess it's different at your work environment. You could experiment if you get the security warning with ACCDE files from your home environment to see what I mean.

Sarah.M

Local time
Interesting. It must be a company network setting. At my work, we are not allowed to set Trusted Locations. But, when I use a ACCDE file, I get the security warning. Clicking OK runs the application, so I don't have to set any Trusted Locations.

At home, I can set any Trusted Location I want. But still, if I use a ACCDE file at home, I will get the security warning if I open it from a folder that is not set as a Trusted Location.

So, in my limited experience at my work and home environments, I don't need to set any Trusted Location as long as I use a ACCDE/ACCDR file. I guess it's different at your work environment. You could experiment if you get the security warning with ACCDE files from your home environment to see what I mean.
Yes, this is what I think now it is a company policy sitting
Thanks @theDBguy for your time, conversation, and advice

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Yes, this is what I think now it is a company policy sitting
Thanks @theDBguy for your time, conversation, and advice
The interesting part about that is, companies are usually paranoid about their own security. As a result, the normal reaction is to not allow users to set Trusted Locations. However, in your company, it seems to be the opposite. I just find it a little intriguing. Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom