Ms Access - SQL (1 Viewer)

pekajo

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 17:43
Hi,
I am thinking of splitting my ms access so I have a ms access front end and sql on the back end, is this possible, and if so can anyone direct me to a youtube or web that explain how to do it in simple terms.
I have my own hosting and know my way around it.
Thanks for amy help.
Peter

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Yesterday, 23:43
Hi,
I am thinking of splitting my ms access so I have a ms access front end and sql on the back end, is this possible, and if so can anyone direct me to a youtube or web that explain how to do it in simple terms.
I have my own hosting and know my way around it.
Thanks for amy help.
Peter
well the first step is to create the tables in SQL server appropriately and migrate data. See this link for some tips.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 06:43

I found the "Andrew Couch" book very useful regarding SQL Server and many other things, indeed it's an excellent book!

Microsoft® Access® 2010 VBA Programming Inside Out
Publisher: Microsoft Press
Release Date: July 2011
ISBN: 9780735661639

This is one chapter on SQL Server there are several:- https://learning.oreilly.com/librar...9780735661639/ch12.html#linking_to_sql_server

You can read the book online on a Riley, and I understand you can sign up for free for a limited time which will probably be enough to get what you want from the book. Mind you it's an excellent website, and I highly recommend having a subscription.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 02:43
Sounds like you think this will work over the internet. It won't. You can do it as long has your hosting platform will accept connections from Access, but unless you are running the Access FE on the same LAN as the BE, you will find response to be incredibly slow unless you build the application completely with code and don't use any bound objects. If you have to do that, there is no point whatsoever to even using Access at all. You are better off using some web development tool. Just compare the speed of the average internet connection with the speed of the average LAN to see the problem you're up against.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom