MSDE .adp Database Portability (1 Viewer)

frank_spencer

Local time
Yesterday, 21:14
Hello, I would be very grateful if someone could please help with the following enquiry.

I have just moved over to using Access as the front end and MSDE as the back end. I have created a web application that communicates with the adp file and on the PC where it was created, everything works fine.

Yet, when I copy the .adp file to another PC (that has all necessary installations MSDE etc) I cant seem to open the adp file. I have even tried changing the PC name of the 2nd PC to ensure that the SQL server name is the same as on the PC where it was created.

However, the adp file still wont open. I have to go into university and demonstrate my file working on thier PC but I cant figure out how to change the adp file SQL server connection details.

When I try and change the adp file SQL server connection options, I cant alter the options already selected so the file only works on the PC where it was created.

All advice will be gratefully recieved, thanks!

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
And you're sure that the MSDE installation on the 2nd PC has the same database in it? Did you copy the mdf and ldf files over and attach them using SQL Client Tools?

frank_spencer

Local time
Both PC's have MSDE installed and both have the database in the same directory.

However, when I copied the database to the 2nd pc all I did was copy the adp file via windows explorer.

I am using access as the front end for MSDE, should I be using the functions inside access : tools/database utlities/ transfer or copy database?

Is there any information on the web about these functions as I cant seem to work them out, thanks

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Both PC's have MSDE installed and both have the database in the same directory.

However, when I copied the database to the 2nd pc all I did was copy the adp file via windows explorer.

I am using access as the front end for MSDE, should I be using the functions inside access : tools/database utlities/ transfer or copy database?

Is there any information on the web about these functions as I cant seem to work them out, thanks

You will need to somehow ATTACH the mdf file and ldf file to the new MSDE location. I always use SQL Server Enterprise Manager which I installed via a sample disc of SQL Server 2000 (you can install just the client tools and not install SQL Server). But, there has to be code to do it somewhere. You should search the search engines with something like this:
"VBA attach mdf to MSDE"

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom