Mugging the elderly (1 Viewer)

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Today, 11:27
I have just watched one of the most shocking videos I have seen and I am utterly disgusted. Be warned, if you want to view it. What has the world come to? Where are the rioters and protesters over this sort of stuff?

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 03:27
Wow, that is disgusting.

neuroman9999

Local time
Today, 05:27
I have just watched one of the most shocking videos I have seen and I am utterly disgusted. Be warned, if you want to view it. What has the world come to? Where are the rioters and protesters over this sort of stuff?
First of all Jon, it's CHICAGO. Second of all, the disgusting person is the one that put the damn thing up on Youtube. What for!? That has been going on for decades in big cities. And while I feel terrible for this woman who encountered this thug, there isn't a hell of a lot that can be done about it. Because once again, dare I say, corporations and governments are the primary cause of criminals and evil people. The person who got mugged is simply caught in the middle. And if you were not an intelligent businessman Jon, more than likely you would be living in area like this woman, because you would not have the intellect to escape these corporate residual wastelands.

If I wasn't busy helping others, I would try to assist in some way to help folks like this. But if I did, I would probably seem so out of place, that they wouldn't even want the help. They'd probably say: ""what are you doing here?"" =(

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
First of all Jon, it's CHICAGO. Second of all, the disgusting person is the one that put the damn thing up on Youtube.

Neither of your comments address the fact that it is terribly antisocial behavior, not to mention felonious assault.

neuroman9999

Local time
Really? Looks like security camera video.
ummmmm...yes it is. hello! but are you telling me that security camera footage is now linked to youtube in real-time? I would seriously doubt THAT one.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 06:27
Why was a person arrested 65 times for similar crimes walking the streets of NY? The mayor has police protection while his citizens get mugged just for the fun of it!!! The Chicago mayor also has police protection because she's special. That's what she told us when she got her hair cut at the height of the COVID lock down.

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
ummmmm...yes it is. hello! but are you telling me that security camera footage is now linked to youtube in real-time? I would seriously doubt THAT one.

I initially thought you meant that it was the mugger who posted the video. Now I suspect you mean that the person who posted the video is more disgusting than the perpetrator of the mugging, which I'll disagree with.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
What's more surprising is the system not having somehow gained enough custody of this individual, whether in a mental health institution or otherwise, to prevent his various outbreaks from happening so many times.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Today, 11:27
I have particular revulsion of attacks on the elderly. Having looked after someone with a degenerative bone condition for years and seeing how very frail the old can be, when you see someone in their physical prime take advantage, it just turns my stomach. A friend of mines mother fell over. She was dead a couple of weeks later from septicemia. Falls are one of the biggest killers of the elderly, so when you see something like in the first video, it is not far off manslaughter.

moke123

AWF VIP
Local time
What's more surprising is the system not having somehow gained enough custody of this individual, whether in a mental health institution or otherwise, to prevent his various outbreaks from happening so many times.
Many blame Regan for cutting funding for asylums, among other things. Now jails have to take up the slack but you cant incarcerate forever.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Many blame Regan for cutting funding for asylums, among other things. Now jails have to take up the slack but you cant incarcerate forever.
Quite possibly true on Reagan having cut that funding. Will be great if someone can improve this issue.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Quite possibly true on Reagan having cut that funding. Will be great if someone can improve this issue.
Not happening. "Society" has decided that it is cruel to lock up the mentally ill. They'd rather see them homeless on the streets and the dangerous ones free to attack innocent passers by.

My mother, my aunt and her husband all worked for the Norwich State Hospital until it closed. I visited a number of times. My aunt managed the canteen so sometimes we'd have lunch there. It was a large site with numerous buildings and no fences except along the cliff. Except for a few locked wards where people dangerous to themselves or others were kept, patients were free to roam the grounds. They got fed, they got their meds, their clothes were clean. There were lots of activities. They even got to go to the movies in small groups. It was far better than living on the street. But was that truly more expensive than what we have ended up with? Are people really better off living in filth on the street and zoned out on drugs?

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
It's very sad. I would like to see more resources and time devoted to creating some kind of compromise solutions for this problem. Have read about prison systems with lots of people in there who don't belong.

Then again, it's very hard sometimes to make determinations. Because guess how many people convicted of crimes want to claim mental health as the basis? Answer: 100%. And I don't blame them, really. I can't imagine having the job of someone who "decided" who was a true SMI case and who wasn't, especially if I knew that what was at stake was their freedom + other people's well being.

But if there is a segment of the population of people convicted of crimes who experts overwhelmingly agree have as their main cause, serious mental health issues (SMI population), then they should go to a place like the one you described.

Even out of those people, I think many of them could be free if there was some way of 100% enforcing their taking of their meds and any other treatment sessions needed. Sounds maybe like draconian surveillance, but if I were them I'd rather that than being in custody.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom