Multiple users, where to start/learn more? (1 Viewer)

Banaticus

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 18:05
To allow multiple users, each with their own computer, access to a database that is stored on an office computer, where do I start? Where do I learn more? I'd like for them to use the switchboard that I made which points to the correct forms to use, instead of allowing them direct access to the database.

KenHigg

Local time
Yesterday, 21:05
Banaticus said:
To allow multiple users, each with their own computer, access to a database that is stored on an office computer, where do I start? Where do I learn more? I'd like for them to use the switchboard that I made which points to the correct forms to use, instead of allowing them direct access to the database.

a. make two databases, one with just the tables (known as the backend) and one with the rest of the stuff like forms, queries, etc (known as the frontend)
b. Put the backend database with the tables in it on a server that they all have access to.
c. Put a copy of the other database, the frontend, on each workstation and link to the tables on the server database

This should get you going for now :)

steevie_t

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 02:05
you might want to look at a book "Building Microsoft Access Applications"

There is a wizard that will split a database, search for "Split an Access database" in the help.

You might also want to apply security, make the front end that the users access an MDE, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom