My website project is not yet over! (1 Viewer)

prabha_friend

Prabhakaran Karuppaih
Local time
Today, 11:49
How to access IIS server running in my laptop connected to a network through wifi from a client computer connected to the same network through LAN.

Pinging fails...

prabha_friend

Prabhakaran Karuppaih
Local time
Issue in Detail:
I have installed and running both an SQL Server and also an IIS Server in my laptop.

SQL Server is visible and accessible over the network using the Server Credentials method.

When coming to the IIS part. The server is not even visible over the network.

I tried pinging IIS IP in cmd prompt. Timeout. Not connecting.

prabha_friend

Prabhakaran Karuppaih
Local time
Somemore insights:

SQL Server is configured as a 'Database Engine' with mixed mode authentication.
IIS Server is configured with Defaults. Firewall ports are granted for both HTTP and HTTPs.

My officer has granted me permission to bring my personal laptop to office to conduct the office automation development until the ordered machine arrives. I have been given an WiFi account with an username and password configured and dedicated to me. Since I cannot change the firewall rules and has less control in my office Desktop. I decided to proceed installing both SQL server and also IIS in my laptop. Laptop and Desktop (client computer) are both connected to the same network but different modes. My laptop through wifi the rest of the desktops all over the network through LAN.

I am able to connect my SQL server over the network through server credentials that is with username and password. Windows authentication mode fails for SQL Server.

Laptop connects seamlessly as both events are happening inside the same system i.e my laptop. 'Localhost' lands on the default IIS page.

Browser navigation also fails

All the necessary ports have been granted to the Firewall on the server system (Laptop). Clients firewall can't be touched as sonicwall firewall is installed and managed by hardware team.

Edgar_

Local time
Today, 01:19
I don't know how things are configured on your end. It sounds like you have an issue if you have a dedicated wifi connection and your server is on another connection, both probably are in different networks. Since you can't ping the server, that's a possibility.

I can only suggest that you work step by step. Start first by establishing a connection in the easiest, simplest configuration. Make sure the server and you are on the same network. Once that is done, ensure connectivity going from the simplest thing, then, gradually, go to the next that is less easy until you make it. First make sure you can ping, or if it's discoverable by your laptop, then check if you can move files across, then check if you can connect through MS SQL or whatever database system you're using.

Actually, the simplest thing might be using the server itself or some machine that you know for sure it is connected to it, and check how it's wired. Sooner or later, you'll find where the problem is. I recall some time ago when I worked with MS SQL, credentials were an issue, so that might be the culprit as well. Now, I don't know what you're using for your development, but these things appear in console. If you were using Visual studio, there's the "problems" tab; if it's the browser, there's the console and other tools in the developers tools of the browser, so look for errors. When I work with my stuff, everything is very transparent, I always know what's failing, but I have no idea what you're using.

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 07:19
From memory, IIS is probably blocked by the inbuilt firewall in a default windows desktop install.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom