Mysterious Disappearing Keys (1 Viewer)

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 01:57
On a few occasions, I have seen tables where the primary key, and indeed other indexes had disappeared, leading to at best performance issues, and at worst table updates failing. There's no data loss as far as I can see.

I am not sure if this might be caused by bugs such as the recent 3340 error, or whether a C&R maybe didn't complete the index rebuild correctly.

Any observations gratefully received.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 17:57
Hi Dave. No, sorry, I haven't noticed anything similar to that. Good luck!

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
Yesterday, 19:57
Dave,

I'm sure you don't want to hear my nonsense, but honestly, your type of inquiry is exactly the reason I stopped using access and went with mysql and sql server (i'm just beginning with that). I've never liked access ever since learning it in 1992 because even back then it was showing that it wasn't really stable in terms of *weird* things that seem to happen without reason. I really do stand by the notion that I think MS lacks either expertise in their developers who work on access release, or simply do not care about it because it makes them no money. Hence, they don't address these nuances that only we see on our end, months after they deploy a new release. but what do I know? I've only been in the business a few years, right? I must know nothing....

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I know what you mean Adam. I just can't understand how a table can lose keys, without someone changing them.

Except, I wondered whether a C&R might terminate somehow, leaving the data intact but the indexes not fully rebuilt, which would produce the effect I am seeing.

Maybe I need to change from mdb format to accdb format. I don't think any users still have A2003. Perhaps that's part of the problem.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Adam
The table itself MAY be corrupted.
However your implication seems to be that Access itself is corrupt which is of course nonsense.

Dave
As you are talking about A2003, just wondering whether you are experiencing the old AOIndex error. See http://www.datagnostics.com/dtips/fixaoindex.html for details and a fix

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
Adam
The table itself MAY be corrupted.
However your implication seems to be that Access itself is corrupt which is of course nonsense.
actually Colin, the majority of results in the google search I provided mentions the corruption of a single object, *not* the application instance itself. It makes me kind of sad that you thought my contribution was more of the same nonsense that I apparently throw out a lot around here. :(

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
actually Colin, the majority of results in the google search I provided mentions the corruption of a single object, *not* the application instance itself. It makes me kind of sad that you thought my contribution was more of the same nonsense that I apparently throw out a lot around here. :(

The links will I'm sure have indicated something similar to what I said.
Yes it did come across as yet more of the same nonsense.
In this case. it was your careless wording :
but everything found there points to the common "boilerplate" answer we 'here' so much regarding this application: 'it's corrupt.
combined with numerous other negative and often uninformed comments that I called you up on

Does the username nfk mean anything to you?

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
Does the username nfk mean anything to you?
nope. I think you lost me on that one, wise one. and you shouldn't have to worry about reading my junk much longer, because if I'm right about my new process as far as finding on-site work, it should result in a success. but as they say....everything is a risk and nothing is guaranteed. Even though I will more than likely disappear for a while here shortly, even if intermittently, I will still keep an eye on this place because I like being a part of the environment...unless of course you and your friends decide to boot me for good. And if that happens, and you at some point decide to expand your skills into more relevant software being used (please don't retort me on this. I'm not bashing your baby!), more than likely you will see me pop up in many other places on the web under this same username, and many others that I've created.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Dave
My apologies for inadvertently sidetracking your thread

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom