Name 5 things that really annoy you (2 Viewers)

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Today, 05:44
I thought a light hearted thread would be good. As I said 5 things that really annoy you. It can be anything you like.

Col

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
1. Below the fold
2. Below the fold
3. Below the fold
4. Below the fold
5. Below the fold

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 23:44
Jon, I don't think I understand. That is clear enough in English but there must be something of an idiom because I'm not following your meaning. What do you mean or to what do you refer in regards to "below the fold"?

As to me? These are not necessarily sorted in a particular order.

1. TV Commercials that insult my intelligence.
2. Biased news programs.
3. Drivers who can't be bothered to signal turns.
4. Religiously-based hatred
5. Divisive politicians.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Doc, I have a poll going about reducing the number of stickies in the General forum, to reduce the need to scroll. I believe it increases user engagement and improves usability. They always refer to it as "above the fold" or "below the fold". It was a bit of an opaque reply, I know.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Ah, web-master jargon. OK, got it now.

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
how about I list 5 annoying things that others here would mention? :)

=> Adam's posts
=> Adam's posts
=> Adam's posts
=> Adam's posts
=> Adam's posts

and if I had my own, maybe these?

=> Monster's genius strategy:

ZipRecruiter's attempted cleverness:

and my favorite:
Richard's assumption that all Christian's are hateful.

Is that true, Richard? I don't think I ever asked you that. I hope that's not the case! Surely you're not as condemning of us as this friend of mine, who is obviously in with the wrong crowd:

Attachments

• monster_dot_com_doing_the_wrong_thing.jpg
    monster_dot_com_doing_the_wrong_thing.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 182
  • ziprecruiter_pretending_to_be_clever.jpg
    ziprecruiter_pretending_to_be_clever.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 173
  • my_friend-whos_way_off_base.jpg
    my_friend-whos_way_off_base.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 160

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Adam, I know that not all Christians are hateful. I married a loving, Catholic woman - special in many ways.

I just have trouble with large numbers of Christians who can't get past the "gay" thing because it happens that in my life I have known many gay folks who are perfectly fine people. In fact, my eldest step-daughter is gay and lives with her wife. (No, NOT confusion of pronouns.)

I also have issues with folks who can't get past the fact that I don't play their game of worshiping a myth. Continued attempts to convert me or save me or something of that sort merely tell me that you care more for your personal beliefs than you care about other people's differences. You don't care that you are NOT loving your neighbor as yourself. Would YOU like it if I continued to hammer away at the tenets of YOUR faith? Because I can do that, you know. But I have tried to stay on the techie side of this forum except for a couple of Watercooler posts.

Do you recall the parable of the Sower and the Seeds? Paraphrasing, a farmer was asked why he wasted his seeds on fields that yielded less than half the amount that his other fields produced. And the answer was that you cannot condemn a field by its crop size, for each field is different according to its nature. One might condemn a rocky, low-producing field - but that is its nature. Cherish what it CAN give you, don't curse it for what it doesn't give you. The parable, if you look at it in the right light, advises you to live and let live. Cherish people for what they are, not what you want them to be even though they are not that way.

That is why I am still engaging in dialog with you. I cherish folks for what they are. I might think of you a rocky, barren field, but I still answer your questions sometimes. The dialog is not closed. I am just being more selective because you already outed yourself as intentionally spinning folks up.

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
Adam, I know that not all Christians are hateful. I married a loving, Catholic woman - special in many ways.
that's just about the most compassionate thing you've ever said in this place when talking about this subject, Way to go! :)
I just have trouble with large numbers of Christians who can't get past the "gay" thing because it happens that in my life I have known many gay folks who are perfectly fine people.
If I'm not mistaken, nowhere in the bible does it *specifically* state that being gay IS the same thing as *sexual immorality*, which is mentioned many times by Christ and the Apostles. But I think most Christians in the world look at gay people as them engaging in sexual immorality, thus they start to preach when they encounter it. But if you want my opinion on this issue Richard, I'm a firm believer in the idea that homosexuality, as prevalent as it is today, came into its current manifestation because the fear exhibited by human beings over any given issue, regardless of what it is, proliferates everywhere in the world and changes constantly based on whatever the current "trend" or "culture kick" is. Case in point => what Republicans would call "bleeding heart liberals". I'm fairly certain, after talking to many liberals in my lifetime, that a lot of them don't have a damn clue what free market business is all about and how business people are able to make huge amounts of money and maintain their "thick skin" and "toughness" when it comes to fighting for position. Every liberal or democrat I've encountered have very sensitive feelings and don't like to see anyone get taken advantage of. And because business and corporations run this world, those peoples' fears eventually show themselves in all types of forms, and manifest themselves into various behaviors in an effort to deal with reality. And one of those behaviors is homesexuality. In my mind, they use it as a comfort mechanism. But of course, there's always the possibility too, that because the "material knowledge" that is being gained so quickly in this day in age is causing human brains to know WAY too much for their own good, that people are getting seriously confused about what's right and what's wrong when it comes to "the way people were created and intended to be". I do think too that those really strange ways of thinking is also an attempt by people who are rejected by the "what's popular" notion in this world, to be recognized by the world and accepted. None likes to think they're worthless. As far as people trying to convert you, Richard, I know what they're telling you. You don't even have to say it. You tell me, do they say this?
I want to tell you about the good news
That's just as stupid a statement as the scammers pretending to be legitimate. To me, that sounds like an intelligence insulting statement. But then again, you have to realize that people (like missionaries) who say that sort of stuff have very sensitive hearts and feelings, and a lot of times are scared $hitless of this world and stay in their own protection zone of the church. So what they are doing is trying to get you to join "their clan" and agree to stick with their "group", because they have hidden themselves in it to protect themselves from the predators of the world. As a matter of fact, that's basically the reason churches exist. I've seen it, in many churches of all denominations. The catholic church is no different either.

I also have issues with folks who can't get past the fact that I don't play their game of worshiping a myth. Continued attempts to convert me or save me or something of that sort merely tell me that you care more for your personal beliefs than you care about other people's differences.
It's not a game, Richard. They ARE sincere, but like I said above, their method, when dealing with intellectuals like yourself, it seriously flawed because they don't realize they've encountered an extremely scientific-based mind. As far as me wanting you to realize the truth and possibly realize that no one is lost completely, the only thing I can do is what the monk told me at New Mellory Abbey 3 weeks ago when he complained to me that abortion was still allowed in this country....."the best we can do is pray that the Lord will come into their lives and help them with his power". I can't do anything else, Richard, because I have no power when compared to the one who knows everything.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Today, 00:44
1. "That's the way we have always done it..."
2. "They are protecting our freedom(s)…"
3. "We fight them over there so we don't have to fight them over here..."
4. "I didn't vote for Trump, I voted against Hillary..."
5. Just about any mainstream "news" program

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
No I haven't yet. I will do but I wanted to see how the thread went, plus, I have occasionally been accused of derailing/ hijacking a thread so I created a simple clean non complicated thread where the user only has to write 5 things and not a massive essay.

Col

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
1. "That's the way we have always done it..."
you know Gent, Melinda Gates posted something on her LinkedIn profile 1 month ago where she quoted that *exact* same phrase and referred to it as "the most dangerous phrase in business". and of course, I responded to her and said the most dangerous phrase in business is: "Right?". :) In my mind, if employees or managers are saying either one of those, they won't be in business very long. Or at least, won't be employed for very long.
No I haven't yet. I will do but I wanted to see how the thread went, plus, I have occasionally been accused of derailing/ hijacking a thread so I created a simple clean non complicated thread where the user only has to write 5 things and not a massive essay.
well Colin, I'm afraid Richard and I have destroyed your wish here. sorry about that, sir!

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
Richard,

This is exactly what I'm talking about, sir: https://getpocket.com/explore/item/...tionally-intelligent?utm_source=pocket-newtab. Those people are obviously thinking *way* too much, and now they're starting to not make common sense, just like google's algorithms. This is the most dangerous behavior in the world, and I'm sure it's going to continue and produce some really off-the-wall, weird $hit in the future. This is also happening in churches too, by the way!

Grumm

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 06:44
  1. People using unordered lists to sum a top 5 list (and not using the correct BB code)
  2. Drivers who don't uses their turn signals
  3. Using religion as a personal excuse
  4. Fake media
  5. Mosquito's

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
Drivers who don't uses their turn signal
well I would understand this behavior if they ran into this, Grumm:

I also have a very funny one that was captured by a driver in Poland, but I have since misplaced it.

Attachments

• multiple_turn_lane_signs.jpg
    multiple_turn_lane_signs.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 141

Grumm

Registered User.
Local time
I don't see a problem with that. If you are in the correct lane nobody is confused.
It was more meant to all the drivers who don't blink when entering a round about and blinking when exiting.
(Oh and the cars who have the leds who indicate when they turn is not making it easier... Those do NOT count as a valid turn signal !!)

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
my apologies. I was just trying to point out a sign that is more complex than many on the road. For the life of me, I wish I could find that turn lane sign from Poland! Maybe I'll call my Polish professor friend that teaches here and ask him for the copy I sent him....

Grumm

Registered User.
Local time
my apologies. I was just trying to point out a sign that is more complex than many on the road. For the life of me, I wish I could find that turn lane sign from Poland! Maybe I'll call my Polish professor friend that teaches here and ask him for the copy I sent him....
No need for the apologies.. Where I am from it is not unusual to have this kind of signs. (with less lines I admit and no I am not from Poland)

deletedT

Local time
I wish the title has asked for 50 or 20 things. It's hard to be limited with naming only 5 of them.
Let me think.... maybe this is the top 5 for me
  • People who talk while they eat
  • People who smoke
  • People from one of our neighbor countries because of their rude, impolite, and noisy behavior.
  • People who talk on their phones loudly in public as if no one is around.
  • People who do idiot acts and upload it to social media just to get attention and thousands of likes.

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
No need for the apologies.. Where I am from it is not unusual to have this kind of signs. (with less lines I admit and no I am not from Poland)
where r u from then? or am I drawing yet more fire by asking that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom