NAS/Landisk through SQUID/PROXY (1 Viewer)

Local time
Today, 14:08
Hello,
I would like to move my access back-end to my new external Landisk, but I am having a few issues with it. I hope someone here can point me in the right direction.

Here's the situation :

I have this (no-name-brand) Landisk simply known as "Mobile Landisk" by Chronos.

I have successfully configured the device in it's build-in Configuration console; such as giving it a STATIC IP, and changed it's workgroup to WORKGROUP (for windows xp). As well as the necessary SHARES, etc.

Please note: I configured the Landisk by attaching it via Lan cable directly to a stand-alone XP PC.

Our Internet Cafe has 10 XP PC's accessing the Internet through a Linux/Squid Proxy Server.

>> The 10 XP PC's LAN cables are connected to a SWITCH which in return is connected to the PROXY server, and the Proxy box is connected to the Cisco Internet Router.

IP Address for the Proxy is 192.168.0.2 >>> PORT 3128

10x XP PC's IP's = 192.168.0.3, 192.168.0.4, etc.

Now i've configured the Landisk with IP 192.168.0.13.
Then connected the Landisk with it's LAN cable to an open port on the SWITCH.

THE PROBLEM : In "My network places" on XP, I can see all of the 10 PC's , BUT NOT THE LANDISK.

I cannot Ping the Landisk. I iv;e tried several Network Scanner softwares. Nothing. The IP 192.168.0.13(landisk) is reported as DEAD.

I've been battling with this for weeks now.

PLEASE! can someone point me in the right direction.

I am (almost) sure the problem lies by the PROXY configuration, but i am unsure of what to look out for in the proxy config.

Please help.

Regards,
Jamie.

Minkey

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 12:08
Could you post the link to the product because I've check their web site clicky and all their USB HD products are enclosures (for 3.5" or 2.5" drives) only :confused:

Have you installed a HD into the closure - sorry if this sounds patronising but I image you can configure the enclosure with an IP address but if you don't have a HD maybe it's not recognised as a network device ?

If so I don't see how your proxy could be the problem as you've connected it on the same switch as the PC's so it not 'behind' a proxy as far as your PC's are concerned (it will be to the outside world of course).

You said the IP is reported as dead but if you have a link light on both the switch and device can you see any connection via the switch management interface itself ? - there should be some kind of activity - though as I've mentioned it might need a HD to work.

One more question is the HD recognised when you connect the device via USB (not just the device) ?

Local time
Thank you for your reply...

Yes, the enclosure can operate without a HDD, however I did install a 750gig HDD and it works perfectly when connected directly to a PC with either the LAN Cable or USB.

With USB it simply functions as any normal external HDD; but ou cannot access it's internal Software Console to configure network related stuff.

Connecting it with the LAN cable allows you to access the Configuration via a IP address in your browser (much the same as you would do with a adsl cable modem).

So the bottom line is : connected directly to a PC, it functions perfectly the way it should. However, since it is after all a LANdisk, and the manual indicates that it can be used on a network directly from a switch (like any PC) , that is obviously waht I want to do.

Now that you mention it... when it is connected to the switch/hub, the "activity indicator LED's" on the switch (as well as on the enclosure itself) remains OFF. As if the device is powered off (which ofcourse it is not).

So the switch does not "see" the Landisk, and the Landisk does not "see" the switch. Sort of, I think.

I have since also tried another LAN cable, other than the one that came with the box. Still nothing.

I am at a complete loss as to where to go from here...

Thank you again for show interest in my problem.

I hope someone out there can shed some light on this.

Jamie.

Minkey

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 12:08
OK so you have a link light but no polling, have you tried all the combination of duplex settings on the switch ?

If you've been through the setting on the box and can't find anything obvious I'd contact the manufacturer - do you have a link to the product ? It might help.

One other thing you could try it updating the firmware - there some on their website.

Local time
OK, here's the progress I have made... not much, but something at least...

In my original post you will notice that MY network range is 192.168.0.3 - 192.168.0.X

And, in the LANDISK's web interface thingy I have assigned an ip of 192.168.0.15. It is also configured to belong to WORKGROUP. All this was done while I had it connected directly to my Laptop via the ethernet cable.

Once connected to the HUB for the network, I could not detect it in anyway whatsoever. No Ping, No Nothing. Not even with the software "Look@Lan" (see next).

So I reset the Landisk to it's factory settings(which includes it's default IP of 192.168.16.1). Again while directly connected to Laptop. (It is still part of WORKGROUP)

I connect it back on to the HUB, installed "LOOK@LAN" on my network PC, and scanned for IP 192.168.16.1.

The attached images shows the results of this scan. Notice that it does not detect ANYTHING about the Landisk, EXCEPT for the section about 'Services'.

Now, this tells me that the 'network/proxy/hub" does in fact "see" the device.

Via "Look@Lan" I can also start a Telnet session on the device, but I am not familiar with telnet at all, and wouldn't know what to do once in the Telnet session.

BTW: When I assigned it with the IP 192.168.0.15 (for MY network range), I could NOT detect the Services shown in the attached images with "Look@Lan". Seems as the device does not like any other IP than it's default.

BTW2: With it's default IP (192.168.16.1), it still does not show up under "My Network Places" in XP.

What to do from here... ? ANY ideas ?

Thanks again.

Regards,
Jamie.

Attachments

• NetworkScan.zip
    215.7 KB · Views: 286

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom