Navigation form vs switchboard vs anything else (1 Viewer)

GBalcom

Much to learn!
Local time
Yesterday, 21:35
I'm creating a new database. To be honest, I've never worked through the best approach to create a great user interface before. I'm looking for ideas on how to best approach it. What you've come to value for end-users when they first open the app, etc.

For sake of brevity, let's say I will end up with 4 main "topics" with several forms for specific needs under each topic. I started out with a navigation form with 4 main tabs, then secondary tabs under each parent, that each hold a form. I'm pausing on this approach until I see other options, because it just feels a bit clunky, and may have room for operator error. (This app will be used offsite, and needs to be EASY and SIMPLE for those users). Also, the navigation tabs seem to complicate the VBA code. I have essentially nested subforms now.

Does anyone know of or is willing to share some good examples of how they "tied" their application together with a good UI? I started from the back end and worked forwards. Now all the tables and most of the forms are done, and I'm looking for the best UI for this situation. Thank you for any insight.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Hi. There is a whole science behind UX, but it really boils down to individual taste most of the time. Have you consider conducting a User Acceptance Testing (UAT) to get some input from your actual users? Presumably, they work with the data day in and day out. So, whatever UI makes sense to me may not be what they would prefer to help them work more efficiently.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 05:35
im with dbg - talk to your users about what is important to them.

to kick things off perhaps put a questionnaire together to find out what equipment they will be using and location, preferred interaction with the app(mouse/keyboard/touch/voice).

typically as a given they will want fast response times and minimal steps to navigate the app. They will also want forms to be clearly laid out and easy to read but what is clear to one user may not be clear to another and regular navigation steps may vary depending on the user task - resolve😊

remember the 80/20 rule - determine the 20%. Get that right and your app will move from ok to excellent

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
A. "Anything else".

Tab control

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 00:35
I prefer a table driven interface. That makes it easy to move items around or even open them from multiple menus. It also eliminates the tedium of manually formatting buttons to make "pretty" flat menus. I use a customized version of the old Switchboard. I have also created my own version that is more flexible than the Access switchboard and which can be linked to security to give user's a customized menu structure which only shows them what they can actually access rather than everything in the app.

Time is money. I'm a consultant so the time=money equation is much closer to the surface when I create applications than it is when an employee is doing the work. Unless there is some time crunch, an employee gets paid regardless so managers think less about having them create "pretty" interfaces that require lots of maintenance. I show the client a couple of versions of menus from other apps and let them decide.

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I have to agree with Pat. I also use a modified version of the A2003 switchboard. I also use a A2003 menubar.
I think both of these are better than the current versions - The A2003 switchboard can hold more items, and can be presented in a better way. The ribbon is just awful.

I think many users are used to the look and feel of a switchboard menu, and it helps to give users a familiar enviroinment.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
I also prefer the the switchboard code provided by Microsoft Access, that is the VBA version of the switchboard, I don't use the macro version.

However the interface Microsoft provide for setting up their switchboard is horrendous!

I went ahead and built my own interface which you can see in use on my website here:-

I normally charge for the Nifty Switchboard Builder, however, if you would like a free copy, let me know and I will explain how you can get it for free.

Last edited:

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 00:35
I forgot to post my updated version of the Access switchboard. I also included a basic version of my custom menu that includes some security. The userID and password are on the login form. You can add your own to test security levels. All the forms you need are there.

Attachments

• SwitchboardONLY.zip
    50.3 KB · Views: 330
  • SwitchboardForm20201104.zip
    1.6 MB · Views: 268

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom