Need advice on how I should develope my application... (1 Viewer)

jonathanchye

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 15:56
I am in the middle of developing a "complaints" DB which is something rather small and simple (but used across the company's different departments).

I am start to see the need to create (and link) multiple databases such as a Master User List, Master Supplier List, Master Customer List etc in the future as I would also be creating more applications in the future.

When I say create, I mean using Access to basically design the front end (forms, reports...)

I have just had a quick look at MS SQL Server 2008 R2 free Edition and it seems to be what I need as I can further control and manage the tables more effectively (esp in terms of security).

In this "complaints" project I can say I am only 25% into it. Should I start thinking about implementing things in Server 2008? How hard is it to pick up Server 2008?

Timing is crucial here as I would be developing various projects along the way so I can't afford a big downtime. I need to create mockups to show various people (hence why Access front end) as well.

The number of users would be roughly 88 people but since I am creating multiple databases I would say maybe maximum 10-15 people would be opening/using a single DB at any time. Basically I am designing a system for a fairly small company but with complex data structure.

In short, is it easy to migrate from Access into SQL Server 2008 (free edition) laster or do I actually have to start developing using SQL Server 2008? Anyone here have experience of upgrading/migrating from MS Access DB into SQL Server 2008?

Thank you.

smig

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 17:56
what's wrong keeping the data in Access db ?
I have no experience with SQL 2008, but I did a migration to SQL before and had no problems

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom