Need advice to move my app to a remote server (1 Viewer)

freuzo

Local time
Today, 06:32
Hi,
I've create a relatively small application with Access 2013 and MYSQL. The BE is on a local server and everything works just fine for all the users.
Now I need to move this app to a distant server (an online hoster).
It has 10 tables (the largest as like 20 columns), 25 views and all rows but together can't exceed 20 000 a year for about 30 or 40 MB of size.

For that what advice can you give me to make the application work very fluently on a remote server.

Thanks in advance.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 00:32
The first and foremost advice is to assure a good, solid, reliable network between this remote server and your location.

If the remote host supports the required BE utility (MYSQL), the right connection method (ODBC?), and your network is solid, you'll be good. You won't even know that you've moved unless this solid network is radically slower than your in-office network.

HOWEVER, if at any point someone tries to use wireless access to get to that BE then expect chaos.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 01:32
If the remote connection is over the internet, the app will be as slow as molassas.

To use an Access app over the internet, your best options are RemoteDesktop and Citrix. Just because Access allows you to link to a server over the internet doesn't mean that it is a good idea. Some people have had success in linking this way to Azure but I have not. Probably because the Azure installation wasn't mine. I had to use a third party provider and the band width was insufficient.

Keep in mind that the best internet connection is about 1/10 the speed of an average LAN. That's the only reason what you are trying to do will probably not work fast enough to be viable.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Yesterday, 22:32
I'm a little confused - are you talking about moving the back end (MySQL) to a more remote server?

Or the front end?

If the front end, are you talking about a virtual desktop - OR, any desktop that you can use RDP (Remote Desktop=Start, Run, mstsc) to log into? If so, your app might work pretty well.

freuzo

Local time
Today, 06:32
If the remote connection is over the internet, the app will be as slow as molassas.

To use an Access app over the internet, your best options are RemoteDesktop and Citrix. Just because Access allows you to link to a server over the internet doesn't mean that it is a good idea. Some people have had success in linking this way to Azure but I have not. Probably because the Azure installation wasn't mine. I had to use a third party provider and the band width was insufficient.

Keep in mind that the best internet connection is about 1/10 the speed of an average LAN. That's the only reason what you are trying to do will probably not work fast enough to be viable.
That's it, the BE over the internet.
Didn't know about RemoteDesktop or Citric. I'll go to see what they're about.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 01:32
Remote Desktop is very easy to use if you have computers that can stay in the office. It allows a person to connect via the internet from any location to his desktop in the Office and work as though he was sitting in his office chair, including having access to the office LAN and printers, etc. The licenses are included in Windows if you have the pro version. Otherwise they are ~ $100 each seat. I think only the host (the desktop you are connecting to) requires a license but I don't remember. The other way is more expensive and works very much like Citrix. In this case you run the application on a Server and multiple people can sign in (each requires a license) at one time and each acquires a virtual desktop configured however your IT people want it configured.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom