Need an RDBMS Beyond MS Access? (1 Viewer)

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Today, 06:59
These databases need not be limited to the intent of: "Web Design and Development"; they can successfully be applied (just like MS Access) to being used on personal computers for single use and/or on a local LAN for a business.

Last edited:

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 03:59
Having experienced trying to convince upper management along with the IT department to allow anything on "their" network including Microsoft Access which they hold hundreds of user licenses for is pretty rough and it takes time.

As for your list, the last two could have a chance SQL Server Express and SQLite are known within the industry but you still have an uphill battle because most people/workers are not exposed to database building and don't trust it on "their" network.

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Today, 06:59
Having experienced trying to convince upper management along with the IT department to allow anything on "their" network including Microsoft Access which they hold hundreds of user licenses for is pretty rough and it takes time. (emphasis added)
For the IT Department it is THEIR network. Fortunately, I am now retired. Before retiring, I had attempted to migrate the MS Access database that I had developed to Microsoft SQL Server so that staff would have improved access to the database. That suggestion plummeted faster than a lead balloon falling into a black hole.

The proposal was rejected, in part, as they seemed to believe that MS Access was toxic. I guess they believed that a database coming from MS Access would somehow "infect" their precious database. Next, they did not want anyone, but an "approved" MIS professional to even touch their database. Finally, I lacked, the 5000+page study/implementation plan peer reviewed by an army of MIS "professionals". After all, you can't implement a database without extensive planning (and extensive consult involvement) for at least 10+ years!!! (satire)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom