New forum sections - suggestions? (1 Viewer)

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Today, 11:33
There are hundreds (maybe thousands) of database and code samples. If I'm looking for something specific, I might be able to find it by searching if I hit on the right keywords. But, I'm sure that there are lots of samples that even I would benefit from viewing. It is just too tedious to scroll through, download, and open each one. So if we could have subfolders (we'd have to think about them carefully) like Dates, searching, navigation forms, menus, metro form design, someone with time to browse might be able to narrow in on something they didn't even know they needed or find if they didn't come up with the right search terms.
If you have subsections, what happens if you have a code sample that can span several subsections?

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Today, 03:33
If you have subsections, what happens if you have a code sample that can span several subsections?
Sorry to say this again, but it just fits as the perfect answer to this question: Tags!

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
@arnelgp In fairness to Colin, I am not aware of any means to read Private Messages in the backend, whether a site owner or moderator. I am assuming this is what you meant, but if it isn't then please just ignore my message.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
I'm returning the 'compliment' of your recent dislike to my comment on a profile post written last June
Profile posts are not private messages. They can be seen by all members and replied to by anyone.

I made the following comment in the profile post
isladogs
@BGIBERT
You should ask this question in the forum thread where you are more likely to get a quick answer
Almost 11 months later, you noticed the post and 'disliked my comment'
That seems to confirm that the OP would probably have got a faster response by posting in a forum thread rather than a profile post.

Private messages are indeed private and moderators have no access to anyone's private messages.
In my view an apology from you would be appropriate.
I have also reported your post to the moderators

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Sorry to say this again, but it just fits as the perfect answer to this question: Tags!
Yes, aware of that. Although Tags might have other implications. I have been reading some of the comments in the Xenforo forum on the topic.

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Hope it Never happens again.
You invaded my (Privacy) Private Messages.
that is called Abuse of Power.
Sorry @arnelgp This isn't true.
I've never been a moderator and I can see these "public" messages at the bottom of the main forum section.

I have just added a comment to one of yours to prove the point.

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 18:33
I'm returning the 'compliment' of your recent dislike to my comment on a profile post written last June
Profile posts are not private messages. They can be seen by all members and replied to by anyone.

I made the following comment in the profile post

Almost 11 months later, you noticed the post and 'disliked my comment'
That seems to confirm that the OP would probably have got a faster response by posting in a forum thread rather than a profile post.

Private messages are indeed private and moderators have no access to anyone's private messages.
In my view an apology from you would be appropriate.
I have also reported your post to the moderators
You dont deserve any.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 06:33
Tags work also since they provide multiple search hits but they still require the searcher to KNOW a keyword. I still remember when I was learning Access and how much I loved the old help system which had a table of contents. It really helped me to zero in on where I could find my answer even when I didn't know what I was looking for. I kept the old help files for years until MS stopped supporting the help engine that accessed them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom