New points feature. Does it serve any real purpose? (1 Viewer)

New points feature. Does it serve any real purpose?

• Yes its great. Keep it

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • No. Its pointless

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • No idea what you're talking about

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 19:04
Apologies to Jon if I'm encroaching on his territory....

Two new 'merit' systems have been introduced in place of the old Thanks and reputation points.
1. Likes in place of Thanks. Jon is looking into merging the old Thanks with the new Likes.
2. A Points system based on the number of posts and a few other things.
In my opinion, this in no way acts as a replacement for RPs.
Its a very broad brush with a few members on 63 points, many more on 48, others on 38 etc.
Does this serve any useful purpose? If not should it be scrapped?

Dreamweaver

Local time
I like the likes system, Just checked my profile I have 8 Reaction score not sure where that comes from "Prob Like"?? and 38 Points
@isladogs Do you know what is used to calc the points as you only say a few others??

mick

GinaWhipp

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 15:04
I also like the Likes. Not sure I see any point to the point system.

deletedT

Local time
I voted Keep it, not because it's great. But just because it's how everything nowadays works.

Every forum or every site has some way of giving points to the members and everyone knows that it's pointless. But as the number of thanks or likes grows, it makes the member more and more eager to participate and post and help other.
I think the only site I saw it different, was experts-exchange. It was a very long time ago that I was a member, but as far as I remember they exchanged the points to cash. But there was two main points.
One, it was a paid membership. Every member had to pay a monthly or yearly fee and without login you couldn't see anything.
Two, they didn't actually paid money. With the earned points you could extent your membership.
Every member who marked a question as solved had to pay some points. I paid 50 to 200 points per my question to the who solved my problem.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Oh I missed that wit. Very good indeed!

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
I like the likes system, Just checked my profile I have 8 Reaction score not sure where that comes from "Prob Like"?? and 38 Points
@isladogs Do you know what is used to calc the points as you only say a few others??
I don't understand the points system myself yet.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
I've just remembered where the points system is explained
Go to your profile page (or that of any other member) .
Click the About tab then scroll to the bottom below the list of Following & Followers info
You will see a list like this depending on the points / trophies the system has awarded you automatically
This is for someone with 63 points:

Points.PNG

I currently have 48 - all except the top one as I don't yet have a Reaction Score = 100

As for the Reaction Score, there were a number transferred from the old forum but I don't know how that was calculated.
My guess is it was 1 Reaction score for each person who added any reputation points to you previously ... but that's nothing more than a guess

However, I do know that each time someone clicks the Like button on one of your posts, it adds 1 to your Reaction score

Hope that helps

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
From memory, I think the Reaction score is actually the reputation score transferred and recalculated according to their algo.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Ooh...I've just been awarded a shiny new trophy together with another 15 points.
According to the forum software I'm now
Seriously likeable
which just shows you can fool some of the software some of the time...

Still think the points and trophies are pointless...:D

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
I've always thought the trophies are pointless, but congratulations anyway! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom