Newbie and Seeking a willing mentor (1 Viewer)

cbustos

Local time
Today, 07:41
Hi Everyone,

My name is Charlene and I've recently realized how much I want to grow and mold a career in anything and everything that relates to a database.

I have very very very basic knowledge of Access and still in the process of learning however I was given the position to manage the database for the company I am employed with, allows me the benefit of trial and error in our current database.

Our current database is pretty small but extremely messy due to prior mistakes that have accumulated over the past 5 years. My goal is to clean this up in the easiest and fastest way possible as we have incoming data every day. We have a management system but it is build on older code that it doesn't allow for integration with newer things. Due to the nature of our business, we have specific needs offered by our CMS. I want to build some sort of back up database/system on Access that allows us to pull information (merge fields) from easily then eventually migrate to SQL server and maybe create our own CMS system :p

I want to build a foundation with best practices and tips in mind. I think the best way to learn is through folks who have been or are in the field rather than paying tons of money.

I would be very appreciative of any advice.

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Tomorrow, 01:41
All of us here have different strengths and experience so you will get a well rounded set of opinions on anything where there is room for diverse input.

Short, well explained, specific questions usually get the fastest answers. Don't try to put too much into each question. Stay on thread, acknowledge our suggestions, say what you have done and exactly what is going wrong.

Some times we might seem more like tor-mentors, but it is all has the aim of best practice.

The most important thing in any database is to get the data model right so the table structures are efficient. Work out what you are trying to record and make sure you understand normalization. This is the science that lets you move on to the art of the user interface.

cbustos

Local time
Today, 07:41
Thank you for your response. I appreciate it. It's been difficult to get connected to someone who has the same mindset. Honestly, I'm starting from nothing and don't know where to start to build a model. I know what outcome i want, what my goals are and where to retrieve the data needed.

I want to find a good resource or material to read so I can build my model.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom