Nicotine Alternatives (1 Viewer)

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
Today, 18:04
I was a smoker for years until I found Zyn. I haven't had a cigarette in 2 years and can breathe easier than I have in a very long time. Rather than hijack another thread where nicotine pouches were brought up, I thought I would post a new one. What alternatives have you all found and what have been your stories? Someone mentioned that users get more nicotine from pouches, but I don't fell that way. I keep then in only for a short time and don't use them often. The obvious appeal for me is the lack of tobacco and the more harmful chemicals within while still getting the nicotine. I know I'm still addicted and that's not good, but for two years now I've been using them and my doctors and dentist have not found any reason why I should stop other than the addiction.

What say you all?

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Today, 15:04
I say your post has encouraged me to try them, and I'll have more feedback soon.
Trying hard to quit a disturbing and over-the-top vaping habit. I feel similarly, I could care less about the nicotine addiction, I mean, I'd place it (alone) on a level with my Monsters and Coffee addictions ... if I could just stop inhaling garbage into my lungs every 90 seconds.

Ordering now! Thanks Vassago

Vassago

Local time
No worries! I've tried many nicotine pouches. Zyn is my favorite, but I'm not a great fan of the plastic container. Wish they could go to something less plastic.

I've tried many flavors. Wintergreen and Coffee are my favorite. The cool mint is more like a menthol cigarette. Peppermint and Spearmint are OK, but very strong on the mint. Good for breath though.

None of the Zyn taste like cigarettes. I have had some other pouches that keep some of that flavor though for those who do need to taste it. Not really a fan myself.

I tried vape. Didn't enjoy the throat and chest feeling. I'm definitely tired of beating up my lungs. The best part about Zyn is I can use it anywhere and nobody has to know, even at my desk at work or immediately after eating at a restaurant. Just make sure you have a tissue or napkin handy to discard the pouch after. There is no need to spit while using it like chewing tobacco. It's kind of like Snus without the tobacco.

Vassago

Local time
I also have caffeine addiction. I used to have monster every day. I've replaced it MOSTLY with black coffee. I still cheat here and there though.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Every time I go in the direction or more frequent or strong coffee, my stomach protests. :)

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Today, 23:04
A friend of mine used to chain smoke all the time, maybe 50 fags a day. When she used patches, she had so much nicotine already, she charged up the patches.
Col

Vassago

Local time
Thankfully, my smoking was about 10 a day, unless alcohol was involved. I've cut out drinking for the most part, too. I think if I was drinking some bar drinks, it would be difficult to not want one.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Almost 4 weeks off vaping now, and immensely satisfied with such a change. Ultimately went with Lucy.co .....Very happy with those, too. And only chew about 3-6 / day.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 17:04
I was fortunate, I guess. Mom and Dad told me I could smoke if I wanted. I tried cigarettes three times (one cig each time, not three packs). My lungs protested BADLY each time. Decided I didn't want to smoke. The only down-side to it all was that when I met relatively attractive women in high school and college, if they were smokers I couldn't get near them. Their breaths gave them away. Later on in life, I met someone I knew from high school who had become "unattached" again. She was VERY attractive in appearance, a slightly "blonder" version of actress Eva Mendes. She was even interested in me - but she smoked like a foundry and I couldn't handle it. We broke up because I just couldn't make the next step and she got tired of waiting. I never had the guts to tell her that it was her smoking that doomed us. And in a way, it wasn't ONLY that. But it was a very big contributor.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
I was fortunate, I guess. Mom and Dad told me I could smoke if I wanted. I tried cigarettes three times (one cig each time, not three packs). My lungs protested BADLY each time. Decided I didn't want to smoke. The only down-side to it all was that when I met relatively attractive women in high school and college, if they were smokers I couldn't get near them. Their breaths gave them away. Later on in life, I met someone I knew from high school who had become "unattached" again. She was VERY attractive in appearance, a slightly "blonder" version of actress Eva Mendes. She was even interested in me - but she smoked like a foundry and I couldn't handle it. We broke up because I just couldn't make the next step and she got tired of waiting. I never had the guts to tell her that it was her smoking that doomed us. And in a way, it wasn't ONLY that. But it was a very big contributor.
I think that's one of the reasons that (I personally contend that..) vaping seems even "worse" a habit than smoking. As a predator-habit, it is more successful because it comes without many of the unpleasantries of smoking. Thus, one does it more and more often and in more places, until one can hardly breathe! Truly insidious in my opinion.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 17:04
Chemically speaking, it is possible that vaping is more harmful to the lungs that cigarettes because of the chemicals in the vapor that are not found in cigarette smoke.

Vassago

Local time
It depends on the liquid. There are so many brands and of course you have people making their own with bad chemicals. I also look at it as anything you put into your lungs is probably not a good idea if it's not meant to be there. I never liked vaping and just couldn't handle it. I like the pouches for their discretion and at least perceived safety compared to smoking. My dentist and doctors have confirmed for me that at least they don't see anything wrong with my gums or mouth that would make them tell me it was a bad move compared to smoking. Obviously, they tell me nicotine is bad as an addictive substance, but they seemed impressed by the products.

I'm smoke-free for about 3 years come March. I would never look back. After 3 years of using these pouches and no obvious signs of health problems from the pouches specifically, I feel pretty good about them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom