No entries dont show in results (1 Viewer)

oxicottin

Learning by pecking away....
Local time
Today, 08:39
Hello, I need to create an query expression from my table that checks if there is a year [boughtYear] and if so is the yes/no field [boughtvac] true or false using a criteria and if there is a year then under my expression give a number 40 and if there is no such year then give a 0 for each employee [EmployeeID]

I tried....
test: IIf([BoughtVac]=True,40,0)

But for the employees that don't have a year entry [boughtYear] OR [boughtvac] they don't show up in my results and I need them in there.

SQL:
SELECT tbluEmployees.EmployeeID, tbluBoughtVacation.BoughtVac, IIf([BoughtVac]=True,40,0) AS test, tbluBoughtVacation.BoughtYear
FROM tbluEmployees INNER JOIN tbluBoughtVacation ON tbluEmployees.EmployeeID = tbluBoughtVacation.EmployeeID
GROUP BY tbluEmployees.EmployeeID, tbluBoughtVacation.BoughtVac, tbluBoughtVacation.BoughtYear
HAVING (((tbluBoughtVacation.BoughtYear)=([Forms]![frm_Switchboard]![cboYear])));

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 05:39
Try

SELECT tbluEmployees.EmployeeID, tbluBoughtVacation.BoughtVac, IIf([BoughtVac]=True,40,0) AS test, tbluBoughtVacation.BoughtYear
FROM tbluEmployees INNER JOIN tbluBoughtVacation ON tbluEmployees.EmployeeID = tbluBoughtVacation.EmployeeID
WHERE tbluBoughtVacation.BoughtYear=[Forms]![frm_Switchboard]![cboYear] OR tbluBoughtVacation.BoughtYear Is Null
GROUP BY tbluEmployees.EmployeeID, tbluBoughtVacation.BoughtVac, tbluBoughtVacation.BoughtYear

oxicottin

Local time
@pbaldy I get the same results..... The problem I'm having is if I never entered a [boughtYear] or [boughtvac] for an employee then it wont display any result at all for that employee. If I go and enter lets say the year [boughtYear] in the table for the no result employee then it will show something and everything works fine. Any other ideas?

here is a new example with an image of results. If you look at the last entry employee 36 is a 0 and 0 because I never entered a year. this is what I need but only for the criteria [Forms]![frm_Switchboard]![cboYear] which if I use that then employee 36 wont display

SQL:
SELECT tbluEmployees.EmployeeID, IIf([BoughtVac]=True,40,0) AS test, IIf([BoughtYear]=True,[BoughtYear],0) AS test2
FROM tbluEmployees LEFT JOIN tbluBoughtVacation ON tbluEmployees.EmployeeID = tbluBoughtVacation.EmployeeID
GROUP BY tbluEmployees.EmployeeID, IIf([BoughtVac]=True,40,0), IIf([BoughtYear]=True,[BoughtYear],0);

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    35.4 KB · Views: 319
Last edited:

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 05:39
Can you attach a sample db? That SQL should return records with no boughtyear.

oxicottin

Local time
@pbaldy I got it with your is null.... Thank you!

SQL:
SELECT tbluEmployees.EmployeeID, IIf([BoughtVac]=True,40,0) AS test, IIf([BoughtYear]=True,[BoughtYear],0) AS test2
FROM tbluEmployees LEFT JOIN tbluBoughtVacation ON tbluEmployees.EmployeeID = tbluBoughtVacation.EmployeeID
WHERE (((tbluBoughtVacation.BoughtYear)=[Forms]![frm_Switchboard]![cboYear] Or [tbluBoughtVacation].[BoughtYear] Is Null))
GROUP BY tbluEmployees.EmployeeID, IIf([BoughtVac]=True,40,0), IIf([BoughtYear]=True,[BoughtYear],0);

oxicottin

Local time
@pbaldy I thought I had it but it seems I don't. I made a test query and if you run the test query it asks for a year. If I enter 2021 then I get the results I'm after BUT if I enter 2022 then I only get 3 results from employees who have no entries in the table (tbluBoughtVacation) and everyone where there is at least one entry doesn't show up. I need everyone to show for any year whether they have entries in (tbluBoughtVacation) or not, just like if I entered the year 2021.

Attachments

• Database1.zip
    20.2 KB · Views: 317

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 20:39
see finalQuery.

Attachments

• Database1.zip
    23.8 KB · Views: 330

oxicottin

Local time
@arnelgp I checked out your example (Thank You), basically that's exactly what I'm doing now in my original database. What I originally do is for each employee I add the year each year and whether or not they bought a vacation and the data I need will show but who wants to do that every year including doing it for new employees. Is there any other solutions with my example?

Thanks!

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 20:39
You do not need to add "missing" records on your table. The Cartesian query will fill the missing data.

oxicottin

Local time
@arnelgp Thanks I got it working with your example, I see how its working now! Before I thought I had to still enter a year every year but now its pulling from the table until 2050... Good one!

Thanks again!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom