No reading permission to MSysDataCollection (1 Viewer)

marcos.almeida.ti

Local time
Today, 15:03
Hi folks

I´m trying to edit some forms on a 2003 .mdb but i´m getting the message that I don´t have reading permissions to the table MSysDataCollections.
It´s a protected file but I´m already using a Admin user.

The first popup is whenI change to DesginView and second when I try to edit user permissions.

Any ideas?

Tks

Attachments

• access.png
    access.png
    35.3 KB · Views: 98

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Today, 11:03
Out of curiosity, what happens if you check the "Administrator" checkbox shown in the picture and hit Apply?

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 19:03
Hi Marcos
First of all, welcome to AWF
As you may already know, tables starting with MSys are Access system tables are are normally hidden. Many are read only and shouldn't be messed around with unless you know what you are doing.
Having said that I've done a lot of research into the 60+ system tables that have existed in different versions of Access. See Purpose of System Tables.
Despite that, I've never seen a system table called MSysDataCollection and would be interested in finding out more about it for my article.

As you are a new member you may not be able to upload files yet but, if not, would you be willing to email it to me using the link below my signature line. If the data is confidential, please remove it first.
Thanks in advance

marcos.almeida.ti

Local time
Today, 15:03
Hi Colin

I will send you a OneDrive link with the files.
Would you know if there´s another way to edit these forms having buttons with actions that are Embedded Macros and not visible by the VB editor?

Tks

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Hi Colin

I will send you a OneDrive link with the files.
Would you know if there´s another way to edit these forms having buttons with actions that are Embedded Macros and not visible by the VB editor?

Tks

Thanks in advance. No email with link received as yet.
I'm slightly confused but the last sentence.
You've said its a 2003 MDB file and I assume you are also running A2003 or you wouldn't see the user permissions dialog box as user level security was deprecated when ACCDB format was introduced with A2007.
However embedded macros (which I never use and recommend you don't either) weren't introduced until A2007!

You also are now referring to forms but are asking about a system table.
Have you created a form based on this table. If so, why?

Until I see your file, I can't give any advice about this specific table but am wondering why you want read permissions to it anyway
Whilst waiting to look at it, please can you do the following:
Open the VBE and type or paste the following in the immediate window then press return:
Code:
?DLookup("Flags","MSysObjects","Name='MSysDataCollection'")
What is the returned value?

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
OK - I did some investigating as I hadn't heard back from the OP.

The MSysDataCollection system table is automatically created when you import an Outlook folder in A2007/A2010 where there is also a data collection feature (which I haven't used in many years)
The system table is in fact editable...though that doesn't mean you should do so.

It is NOT created when an Outlook folder is imported in A2003 or earlier nor in A2013 or later.
Presumably because the data collection feature was added in A2007 and removed again in A2013.

Further tests show that the system table is not created in A2007/2010 if the database is an MDB file.
However if an ACCDB with the MSysDataCollection table is converted to MDB the table is not removed (and is still editable)

So I am unclear what setup the OP has that would allow him/her to have that table in an A2003 MDB file or why he/she is unable to read it

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom