Non repeating report format (1 Viewer)

Bosco

Local time
Today, 19:28
I am trying to construct a report format that is more visually appealing than the repetitive structure of a typical report that repeats the same information for each record of the database in the same format, location and size.

I was thinking in could do this by having a few different arrangements in the report detail and toggling them on and off based on a field in the database. If there is a "1" in the field it makes a large image on the left visible. If there is a "2" in the field it makes a large image on the right visible. Etc.

I can't find any resources that address non repetitive report structures. Any thoughts?

June7

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 15:28
How is this more visually appealing? I would find it disconcerting to have data arrangement shift around. Easier to read and analyze in a consistent structure.

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
?? I'm not following your "more visually appealing" requirement either. Many want facts in an orderly, understandable way. But if visual presentation is your critical factor, then perhaps other software is more appropriate (eg post processing a report).

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 16:28
Hi Bosco. Welcome to AWF! If you can post some mock-up designs, we can tell you if it's possible or not.

Bosco

Local time
Sample report attached. The goal is to mix pages of 1, 2 or 3 images so it doesn't look repetitive. We have been building them in Indesign but it is very time consuming.

Attachments

• Sample Report_Published.pdf
    75.2 KB · Views: 134

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Sample report attached. The goal is to mix pages of 1, 2 or 3 images so it doesn't look repetitive. We have been building them in Indesign but it is very time consuming.
Hi. Thanks for posting a sample, but I don't see any mixture in the sample pages you posted. It looks to me like a simple two-column report. I thought you were talking about a "staggered" layout.

Bosco

Local time
The first two pages have the image on the right and the text on the left. The last two pages have the image centered with the text below.

If this can be done with a simple report that's great but all I get when I run that is everything on the right.

The goal is to also include mixed layouts with one image in the right and one on the left on the same page.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
The first two pages have the image on the right and the text on the left. The last two pages have the image centered with the text below.

If this can be done with a simple report that's great but all I get when I run that is everything on the right.

The goal is to also include mixed layouts with one image in the right and one on the left on the same page.
I see. Yes, I think that is possible either by using code or by using subreports. You may have to play with them a little bit to get close to what you want (if not exact).

June7

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 15:28
Code in Format or Print events could set visibility of controls based on some criteria. Essentially, this means duplicate sets of controls so data is available in various positions and sizes. Or code might be able to manage position and sizing of one set of controls. I have done latter on forms but not reports so not sure it is possible. Might be better to automate PowerPoint or Publisher to use Access data.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom