Notes From A Thoughtful Husband (1 Viewer)

KenHigg

Local time
Today, 12:19
It is important for men to remember that, as women grow older, it becomes harder for them to maintain the same quality of housekeeping as when they were younger. When you notice this, try not to yell at them.

Some are oversensitive, and there's nothing worse than an oversensitive woman.

My name is Ron. Let me relate how I handled the situation with my wife, Julie. When I took "early retirement" last year, it became necessary for Julie to get a full-time job, both for extra income and for the health benefits that we needed. Shortly after she started working, I noticed she was beginning to show her age.

I usually get home from the golf course about the same time she gets home from work. Although she knows how hungry I am, she almost always says she has to rest for half an hour or so before she starts dinner. I don't yell at her. Instead, I tell her to take her time and just wake me when she gets dinner on the table. I generally have lunch in the Men's Grill at the club so eating out is not reasonable. I'm ready for some home cooked grub when I hit that door.

She used to do the dishes as soon as we finished eating. But now it's not unusual for them to sit on the table for several hours after dinner. I do what I can by diplomatically reminding her several times each evening that they won't clean themselves. I know she really appreciates this, as it does seem to motivate her to get them done before she goes to bed.

Another symptom of aging is complaining, I think. For example, she will say that it is difficult for her to find time to pay the monthly bills during her lunch hour. But, boys, we take 'em for better or worse, so I just smile and offer encouragement. I tell her to stretch it out over two or even three days. That way she won't have to rush so much.

I also remind her that missing lunch completely now and then wouldn't hurt her any (if you know what I mean). I like to think tact is one of my strong points.

When doing simple jobs, she seems to think she needs more rest periods. She had to take a break when she was only half finished mowing the yard. I try not to make a scene. I'm a fair man. I tell her to fix herself a nice, big, cold glass of freshly squeezed lemonade and just sit for a while. And, as long as she is making one for herself, she may as well make one for me too.

I know that I probably look like a saint in the way I support Julie. I'm not saying that showing this much consideration is easy. Many men will find it difficult. Some will find it impossible!

Nobody knows better than I do how frustrating women get as they get older. However, guys, even if you just use a little more tact and less criticism of your aging wife because of this article, I will consider that writing it was well worthwhile. After all, we are put on this earth to help each other... Ron

NOTE: Ron died suddenly Thursday May 26. He was found with a Calloway extra long 50-inch Big Bertha Driver II(golf club) rammed up his backside, with only 2 inches of grip showing...His wife Julie was arrested, but the all-woman Grand Jury accepted her defense that he accidentally sat down on it very suddenly

:eek:

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Today, 17:19
Whats odd about that? Isn't that normal?

I knew a chap once who bought his wife some tools for her birthday so she could do odd jobs at home rather than sit about watching daytime TV all day making out she was "looking after the baby" - he soon saw through that excuse

There must be hundreds of wasted hours by women stuck at home because babies sleep all day anyway, so its no problem for them to wallpaper a room or lay a patio or something. They have it too easy;)

Men slave away all day - its only right that the little lady should put in a bit of effort;)

Col

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Hey Ken a thought just crossed my mind, did you post this because you know that I'm retiring in 2 weeks? :)

Brian

KenHigg

Local time
Does your wife have your honey-do list prepared... :D :D

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
KenHigg said:
Does your wife have your honey-do list prepared... :D :D

She sure does :eek: I have been warned by an old guy to "beware the hidden list" and not to rush the jobs as a soon as one is completed a new one will be added to what at first appeared to be a reasonable list.

Brian

KenHigg

Local time
Brianwarnock said:
She sure does :eek: I have been warned by an old guy to "beware the hidden list" and not to rush the jobs as a soon as one is completed a new one will be added to what at first appeared to be a reasonable list.

Brian

Well that pretty much settles it then. It's an inherit characteristic of the female in all corners of the globe, not just an American woman thing. They all feel the need to tell us men what to do :mad:

p.s. I have personally wittnessed the elimination of an item on the honey-do list spawn multiple replacement items. In fact, if it goes unchecked (i.e. You get done with one item too fast), it could well become the norm...

Last edited:

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
KenHigg said:
p.s. I have personally wittnessed the elimination of an item on the honey-do list spawn multiple replacement items.
The thing to do is make a right pigs ear of the job.

You either get the "get out of the way - I can do it better myself" or you get the "just leave it - we'll get someone in who can do it";)

Or just say "I'm not bloody doing it!!! I'm not a builder / decorator / mechanic"

Col

KenHigg

Local time
ColinEssex said:
... Or just say "I'm not bloody doing it!!! ...
Col

Bad juju :eek:

My back hurts just thinking of sleeping on the couch...:eek: :p

Len Boorman

Back in gainfull employme
Local time
Okay so just to throw some gas on the fire for when the ladies read this.

The myth that women can multi task and men cannot.

Well we all have the one processor and as with all things with a single processor the give the appearance of multi tasking by time slicing. Okay so women time slice in smaller slices. This also indicates clearly why women are unable to concentrate on a single matter for any discernable length of time.

Len

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
ColinEssex said:
The thing to do is make a right pigs ear of the job.

Col

" If you do it more often you'll get better at it"

Funny how that doesn't apply to the fun things:(

Brian

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Len Boorman said:
The myth that women can multi task and men cannot.

Len

Of course men can multi task. You must have seen them taking the newspaper to the washroom :p ;)

Brian

KenHigg

Local time
Brianwarnock said:
Of course men can multi task. You must have seen them taking the newspaper to the washroom :p ;)

Brian

Ha - That is funny...:D :D :D

Here's one I heard that I thought was true: A woman will marry a man hoping he will change and he doesn't, A man will marry a woman hoping she won't change and she does. :eek: :p

alastair69

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 09:19
Good point Brian,

I still think that men can multi task, just women do not see it, also men like to get the job done properly and not fast and half a job.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Then you get the classic

Man "everything ok dear?, you seem a bit unhappy"

Woman "NO EVERYTHING IS NOT OK"

Man "what's the problem then?"

Woman "IF YOU DON'T KNOW, THEN I'M NOT TELLING YOU"

Col

KenHigg

Local time
ColinEssex said:
Then you get the classic

Man "everything ok dear?, you seem a bit unhappy"

Woman "NO EVERYTHING IS NOT OK"

Man "what's the problem then?"

Col

And the cultural divide narrows...:D

If we guys posted long enough we were bound to find common ground :p

dan-cat

Registered User.
Local time
ColinEssex said:

Col

LMAO :D Any response to this is swiftly dealt with by:

"I shouldn't need to tell you!"

R

Rich

What's the matter dearest ?
NOTHING!
door slammed shut in temper too

KenHigg

Local time
dan-cat said:
LMAO :D Any response to this is swiftly dealt with by:

"I shouldn't need to tell you!"

I don't mean to put a damper on the mood but you all realize our fun will be short lived as the girls will inevitably stroll in...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom