odbc fall failed after time out? (1 Viewer)

joe789

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 01:37
Hi Folks,

I have a ACCDB/ACCDE that has a few linked SQL tables via a DSNless connection code ran via Autoexec macro. Everything works perfectly fine; however, I noticed that via testing if a form remains open for so long (and I cannot determine how long until it occurs), all the fields on the form change to '#Name?' and a error msg box states 'ODBC--call failed' once the user presses the OK button then the next error msg box states 'a communication link failure'. The user then must exit the ACCDB/ACCDE to re-establish the connection and everything works fine.

It appears that there is some sort of time out ... I am wondering if anyone knows exactly how many minutes of inactivity must go by before this occurs?

Also, I am wondering what is the easiest way to prevent this from occurring?

Ideally, I would love to somehow automatically close this ACCDB/ACCDE BEFORE the timeout occurs, so the user won't see these errors and the odbc will never timeout, yet the user will be forced to re-open the application to re-establish the connection properly (and also it would help prevent users from keeping the file opened forever)?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you very much,

Joe

WayneRyan

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 01:37
Joe,

There is a Command timeout; that's not your problem.

The Connection timeout is a property of YOUR ODBC connection and also is set
By the Server. You may have to ask your DBA for a longer setting.

Wayne

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom