Odd issue with Find and combo box (1 Viewer)

kevlray

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 13:20
I have a very simple form. It has a combo box (list of budget line items) and an amount. I dropped a 'Find' button on the form and it will find any amount just fine. But if I try to find a line item (value from the combo box). It does not find anything. I thought this was working yesterday. Access 2010, FE/BE, backend tables are on MS-SQL except for the lookup values for the line items.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Ranman256

Local time
Today, 16:20
Don't use Find. Use a query to search the data using criteria.

kevlray

Registered User.
Local time
Arg!! I just wanted to make it quick and simple for me and the user. At present there are only 25 entries (probably will be a few more to come).

kevlray

Registered User.
Local time
Found my own solutions (something stupid). When I created the combo box, it pulled from a lookup table with all the line item values. I had created an ID field for the table. So it was using that as the bound column on the combo box (1), I changed to 2 and now the find button works.

missinglinq

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 16:20
...I had created an ID field for the table. So it was using that as the bound column on the combo box...

I see this problem listed all the time, here and on other forums. The Access Gnomes started doing this in 2007, I think it was, and the bad thing is they add the ID Field to the Combobox and make it the Bound Column, even if you don't include the ID field when you set up the Combobox!

Linq ;0)>

kevlray

Registered User.
Local time
I tried not having the id field part of the combo box, but then it would not display the values. I understand part of the purpose was to have the id as part of the main table, not the table value (lookup table value). Since I did a bad design in the first place and without redesigning (this very small database) the database that will only be used for a few years. I do not feel it will hurt anything to keep it how I have it now. The user can search and find one of the <30 items in the table just using the standard Find button.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom