Odd issue with Forms (1 Viewer)

kevlray

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 18:05
I put question in this thread since it probably really involves more than forms. We have a few users that recently got upgraded to Office 2013 64-bit on Windows 7 (64-bit). The Access database probably was originally created as a Access 97 database. The database has been updated to Access 2007-2010 and all the tables reside on an MS-SQL database (2008 R2).

Now if they open a second form (from a switchboard) without closing the first form, Access will lock up. I have tried to do some debugging and discovered when the second form opens (updating information on the form from the database), it will generate an error message if I single step through the code. I do not have the specific error message in front of me. But it appears it has lost the connection to the database. So short of rolling then Office 2013 installs to an earlier version (or going to 32 bit?). Does anybody have any ideas on what I look for as the source of the issue? :mad:

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 02:05
I'm on Win 8.1 Pro, Access 2013 64bit ...

I could test it to see if I have the same problem as you...

kevlray

Registered User.
Local time
Unfortunately the DB is far too large to upload (30MB). I do not have any other place to upload the DB.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 02:05
Unfortunately the DB is far too large to upload (30MB). I do not have any other place to upload the DB.

I doubt if it would make it's small enough to send, but make sure you've got "Compact on Close" switched on, it does sound like your db might be bloated. The other thing is you don't have to send it all. All you need to do is copy out the objects which you are having a problem with, put them into a new blank database and send that. In fact it would be a good idea to do this anyway, to see if you transfer the fault into the new DB. It might throw some light on the issue.

kevlray

Registered User.
Local time
I will try to do that tomorrow. I did a compact and repair, brought down to 28 MB. I sure if I strip out the 200+ queries and 100+ reports it will be a bit smaller.

BitsOfBytes

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 21:05
I had the same issue when our office upgraded from Access 2007 to 2013. I had to create a new connection to the SQL Server we were using. The 2007 connection file that was created previously would not connect correctly, not sure exactly why. It was easier for me to create a new connection rather than try to tinker with the old one and get it to work.

kevlray

Registered User.
Local time
First I started creating a new DB with just to three forms (switchboard and two other forms). This in turn required a lot of sub-forms to be loaded and a number of tables that are linked to an SQL database. Unfortunately I am sure this will be doable at this time.

Second BitOfBytes suggestion is good, but not sure how to re-create the connection since our DBA used the MS SQL Server Migration Assistant and it does not use a regular ODBC connection (but makes it easy to distribute the FE).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom