Office 2021 Release Date (Rumors) - Any changes with Access? (1 Viewer)

JMongi

Local time
Today, 02:32
I know there are some in this community that may have some industry contacts. Are there any rumors as to a release date for MS Office 2021 more targeted than 2H 2021?
Also, I presume that MS will stick with the minimal, if any, changes to Access. Just tossing this out there for discussion. If this should be in a different forum, please move it there. Thanks!

conception_native_0123

Local time
Today, 01:32
I would be prepared for your applications to break, like always. It doesn't happen on every release but I've always noticed this to be the case usually

JMongi

Local time
Well, I was more interested if anybody had inside info on a potential release date a bit more specific than 2nd Half of 2021.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Here is a very good article on the subject. Actually, the part I found the most interesting was Daniel Pineault's reply to one of the comments. One sentence in particular stands out:
You also have to look at the way Microsoft has effectively created 2 classes of clients: MS365 (formerly Office 365) users and perpetual license users. MS365 keep getting updates, perpetual license users don’t! When you start segregating people, well enough said there.

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 14:32
with my experience with A2021 on Win 11, the Alt-F11 (invoke VBA) won't work anymore (or just me?).

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
with my experience with A2021 on Win 11, the Alt-F11 (invoke VBA) won't work anymore (or just me?).
Good morning Arnel, I have not migrated to either so I cant help you. If that is the case, then it sounds like stormy seas on the horizon

sonic8

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 07:32
Here is a very good article on the subject. Actually, the part I found the most interesting was Daniel Pineault's reply to one of the comments. One sentence in particular stands out:
You also have to look at the way Microsoft has effectively created 2 classes of clients: MS365 (formerly Office 365) users and perpetual license users. MS365 keep getting updates, perpetual license users don’t! When you start segregating people, well enough said there.
Well, that's not correct. M365 users get updates for bug fixes, security patches, and new features. Perpetual license users just get updates for bug fixes and security patches but not new features.
Where there ever any feature updates for a boxed Access release? - I don't think so.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Good morning (evening!) Phil,

I am glad you weighed in because it was from your site I first saw the exciting news that the latest version would allow connections to DataVerse, yet DP suggests otherwise in is reply to a comment:

Even now, one of the biggest pushes we see from Microsoft is to use Dataverse (formerly CDS), but that means migrating your data to Databaverse and no longer use Access! Furthermore, by using Dataverse, we loose a large amount of control over the back-end and once you jump on that boat, good luck getting off should you not be happy. Then, beyond the push transfer the back-end to Dataverse, Microsoft is pushing PowerApps very hard. Yet again, this is a replacement of Access altogether, a new web based interface. So Microsoft’s 2 biggest offerings, right now, for the Access community both take you away from Access!

But, upon re-reading it, he isn't contradicting you, just mentioned that MS is pushing to use it in place of, rather than WITH Access. Big difference.

Glad you weighed in anyway!

sonic8

AWF VIP
Local time
But, upon re-reading it, he isn't contradicting you, just mentioned that MS is pushing to use it in place of, rather than WITH Access. Big difference.
With regards to Dataverse, you must keep in mind that Dataverse is a backend service. If you move your data to Dataverse it will (most likely - I haven't seen much of it yet) replace your Access backend. - And I think, this is a good thing. File based backends, like Access databases, have many inherent flaws that cannot be fixed regardless of how many resources you throw at making them better.

If done right, the option of an Access frontend application with a robust data store in the cloud will be a use case that can breathe new life into the product Access.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
If done right, the option of an Access frontend application with a robust data store in the cloud will be a use case that can breathe new life into the product Access.
I agree and I certainly hope so.

sonic8

AWF VIP
Local time
does Ctrl+G still work or is that gone too?
[ALT]+[F11] and [CTRL]+[G] still work in the most recent M365 version. A2021 is just a snapshot taken off the M365 development line a couple of months ago. So, if there are issues with these shortcuts, they must be caused by local causes.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 06:32
Is this because you are using a pirated copy of A2021 and/or Win11 downloaded from a BitTorrent site or similar?
I ask as you've often stated that's how you get the latest versions

Last edited:

arnelgp

Local time
Is this because you are using a pirated copy of A2021 and/or Win11 downloaded from a BitTorrent site or similar?
you are correct white man.
i wouldn't buy anything that the "other" community can provide for free.
have you tried it on your legal win 11 and legal mso2021?

arnelgp

Local time
does Ctrl+G still work or is that gone too?
just tested it today and it worked with Ctrl-G. I've been used on using Alt-F11 that i didn't care to google another shortcut key.

Sun_Force

Local time
Today, 15:32
just tested it today and it worked with Ctrl-G. I've been used on using Alt-F11 that i didn't care to google another shortcut key.
Both ctrl+G and Alt+F11 works on all my PCs (4) with windows 11 and MS Office 365.

arnelgp

Local time
Both ctrl+G and Alt+F11 works on all my PCs (4) with windows 11 and MS Office 365.
yes, i also tested it on my old i7, 7th gen laptop and is working.
i have a new one, maybe i have missed some driver when i replaced
the original win-10 home with win 11 pro.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 06:32
you are correct white man.
i wouldn't buy anything that the "other" community can provide for free.
have you tried it on your legal win 11 and legal mso2021?
You make assumptions about me, green manalishi.
You get what you pay for and deserve what you get.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
I was originally going to reply "What, there are no people of color in the UK??"

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom