Office 365 DB Corruption/Recovery... (1 Viewer)

GUIDO22

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 02:39
(I have this periodic/recurring issues from time to time when making changes to the database file... )

Access Version : Office 365

This morning went into design mode to view a Switchboard forms VBA code... then closed it without making changes...

I then ran the Switchboard panel (the primary interface for the DB application and I get... as shown attached (see attached pic 180122.PNG)...)

So figuring the Switchboard form is the issue I delete it and attempt to restore a copy from another copy of a similar database file I have on my server... I select the Access DB I am importing from .. and usually the import wizard confirms the import afterwards .. but I get no message ....

So I run the Compact and Repair function and get this message ..... (see attached pic 180122A.PNG)

So I am unable to import a replacement copy of the form 'corrupted' Switchboard form ... which appears to be the issue here...
Am I able to interrogate/ change the hidden system tables to correct this errorneous operation... at present the application is not running and I have a handful of users relying on it.. any help would be appreciated please...

Thank you,

G

Attachments

• access_error180122.png
    access_error180122.png
    11.2 KB · Views: 326
  • access_error180122A.png
    access_error180122A.png
    10 KB · Views: 333

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 18:39
Hi. Just curious, is your database properly split?

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 09:39
can you delete and re-create the switchboard?

GUIDO22

Registered User.
Local time
can you delete and re-create the switchboard?
Hi again... !
I have deleted the Switchboard....

If I try and import from another copy of the DB... the import fails.. without any message....

GUIDO22

Registered User.
Local time
I cant even find any way of showing the System Tables (as you used to be able to in earlier versions of Access), with a view to modifying to remove references to the old Switchboard form - which may be the reason for the import failure....

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Make a backup of the original broken database.
Delete the switchboard form.
Compact and repair the copy without the switchboard.
Now try importing a new copy of the switchboard from a working example backup or create a new one.

GUIDO22

Registered User.
Local time
Make a backup of the original broken database.
Delete the switchboard form.
Compact and repair the copy without the switchboard.
Now try importing a new copy of the switchboard from a working example backup or create a new one.
Respectfully, that is exactly what I have described at the top of this thread...
it wont import the new Switchboard file....

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Apologies - I missed the C&R in your original post.

Have you tried importing all the objects (barring the switchboard) into a new blank database?

GUIDO22

Registered User.
Local time
Apologies - I missed the C&R in your original post.

Have you tried importing all the objects (barring the switchboard) into a new blank database?
.. I havent... I will now... but what do I do about the Switchboard.. this is quite literally the front end of the application...

GUIDO22

Registered User.
Local time
OK - so I have created a brand new DB file from and imported all but the offending Switchboard form....
I have then imported the Switchboard file from my backup (that I know does work without issue..).. and all appears well!
Thank you.

....the overriding question remains why I have to go through this process though...?

arnelgp

Local time
did you delete also the switchboard item table?

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time

GUIDO22

Registered User.
Local time
See post #2.

A shared Unsplit database is basically a disaster waiting to happen. It's not a question of If but When you will get some corruption.
You should split it and every user should have their own local copy of the FE, linked to share backend.

Edit : read up here http://www.databasedev.co.uk/split_a_database.html
or here https://www.techrepublic.com/blog/10-things/10-plus-reasons-to-split-an-access-database/
thats great - thanks for the information there... I will read, in earnest....

arnelgp

Local time
instead of copying the switchboard from another db.
make a copy of the "other" db.
on the copy, delete all object (except the switchboard form and the switchboard item table).
import all object from the troubled db (except the switchboard form and switchboard item).

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
In simple terms yes, make a FE copy and you can right-click on a linked table and "convert to local table"

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom