On Open routine for Folders (1 Viewer)

RaunLGoode

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 05:44
My employer has a new records retention policy.
We would like to have some basic information display when the project Folder is opened, ...or selected.
Is this Possible?

I was thinking I could have a file with this data inside the folder with the folder information (Folder Name, Creation Date, Deletion Date, etc.) On opening the folder, the routine would either Open the file to display the info or copy the info into a message box.
Again, Is this Possible?

If this is possible, how would you assign an On Open sub to a folder?

Minkey

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 10:44
There is a very simple way for doing this:

1) Create a root folder say Project 2007 and use that as a shortcut for those who require access.

2) Open the folder and right click on the toolbar in the contents window (actually on the part of the toolbar that says name) you will then get the option to tick other attributes that will be displayed when the folder is opened, there are more options (date file accessed for example) in the more section.

The down side of this is you might have to do this for all users though it should work for everbody if you do this on the server/ share the folder is located on - try it. :)

BTW You should be able to apply this to all sub folders and indeed files.

Now because this is your boss and in my experience if that fine for now he will want more later and judging by your request it looks like he may want some sort of project file management system ? You might want to look at Sharepoint 3.0, which if free if you have a Windows 2003 server.

We are deploying it globally for our department at work and a simple site would be quite easy to setup and would give you a better more managable collaboration tool.

RaunLGoode

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 05:44

I was able to display the additional fields in the folder, thinking I could use the Comments field for the other information, but I can't figure out how I fill/edit those fields.

We are looking for for something less passive than a field in the folder, Like a message box that must be acknowledged. That's why an "On Open" action for the folder would be ideal. But I would settle for adding the information to the "Comments" field right now.

Like many companies, we outsourced our IT department, I don't think they will let me add any server application that modifies their standard server setup. I will ask about Sharepoint, just to be sure

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom