Open a data entry form and have the basic customer details auto populate text boxes (1 Viewer)

Eric the Viking

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 10:56
Dear All, after quite some time away from this group I find myself in a state of confusion and in need of help after resuming my use of Access........I am treasurer of my angling club and have a data base to record items members have from the bar and other items including their subscription to send an end of season account. Members details are in a members table and their items for the end of season account are in a members debits table with the tables linked with a unique key.
I generally add items to the members debit table from a subform in my members table. All well and good and works just fine to produce the reports I need to email at the end of the season.
My problem is that with Covid-19 I have not been able to get to the club to extract the members debits from their account books. I would like to get the housekeeper to add these using a unique front end with just one form as I don't want her to be able to see all the members data and previous debit entries or have any chance of messing it up. My ideal solution would be to have a continuous form with members listed and then a button for each record to open a popup form prepopulated on load with the members name and number, plus empty text boxes for the new entry. Try as I might I just cannot get it to work......is there a way of doing it I have forgotten?
I also tried, as an alternative, a data entry form with a ComboBox at the top to search for the correct member but can't get this to work either.
Any suggestions gratefully received.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 03:56
Hi. What I could recommend is to use a Form/Subform setup to enter the data. The member info could be displayed on the main form, and the subform could be a Data Entry = Yes form to enter new debits. Just a thought...

Eric the Viking

Registered User.
Local time
Hi. What I could recommend is to use a Form/Subform setup to enter the data. The member info could be displayed on the main form, and the subform could be a Data Entry = Yes form to enter new debits. Just a thought...
Hi, thanks but I already tried that but it only seems to work with the subform as a continuous form that then displays all the other entries which is what I am trying to avoid as I do not want her to have access to the data.

bob fitz

AWF VIP
Local time
Hi, thanks but I already tried that but it only seems to work with the subform as a continuous form that then displays all the other entries which is what I am trying to avoid as I do not want her to have access to the data.
It will work as required if you set the SUB forms Data Entry property to "Yes", as theDBguy said regardless of how you display the sub form

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
I know it should but it doesn't for some reason......
Hi. I can't do any testing right now, but try not linking the subform to the main form using the Linked Fields. Instead, use code or Default Value property to store the foreign key value in the subform. Hope that helps...

Eric the Viking

Registered User.
Local time
Now here is something weird, I closed Access and then re-opened the database and suddenly all seems well :rolleyes:
I have no idea why but my problem is solved. Many thanks for your input guys. (y)

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Now here is something weird, I closed Access and then re-opened the database and suddenly all seems well :rolleyes:
I have no idea why but my problem is solved. Many thanks for your input guys. (y)
Hi. Congratulations! Glad to hear you got it sorted out. Good luck with your project.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom