Opening Exclusively (1 Viewer)

jrjr

A work in progress
Local time
Today, 11:40
I had a member of our data processing working on a pc here to change it over to our new intranet domain. Permissions were set for the user and all looked ok. After he got done, and left of course, I could not access my program and neither could anyone else or so it seemed. The prompt stated that the db was read only and it was opened exclusively by another user. I copied the data base to my computer and tried to delete the one on the server but could not for the same reasons. Finally I went back to the pc that had been worked on and I was able to delete the 'locked' database. Then I copied the one I had transfered to my machine back to the server. All is well now. Actually this happened to 2 databases on the server in different locations but in the same main folder.

I know about opening a db exclusively but this has to be a deliberate action. Just opening normally would not do that and I dont think the guy that was doing the work has enough knowledge of databases in general to know about opening exclusively in the first place.

My question is.... how does this happen if not done deliberatly?

Edit,

I believe now that it was all due to share and permission settings but if anyone else has an idea different from that chime in! Thanks a lot!!!

Last edited:

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 10:40
Actually, this is a common problem. Your workgroup security is not set up correctly. The users are failing to join the workgroup before opening the DB, so they are using their default workgroup files. These files are set up so that the default user is Admin, who happens to have "Open Exclusive" permission on the DB. So the first user opens the DB in Exclusive mode - mostly because it can - and locks out everyone else.

If you properly secure the DB, this won't happen. Search this forum for topics in Workgroup Security from me, pat hartman, ghudson, and several other who have posted frequently. I think vassago also has some good posts on this topic.

TheEvilBankers

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 16:40
Question related to this...

By using workgroups, can you make it so they can not open a db exclusively?

We have a person with just a tad too much knowledge who does it so they can do their work faster.

K

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 11:40
I have a different take on the problem since it is not necessary that you implement specific workgroup security to avoid this issue. The Admin account in system.mdw does not automatically open a db in exclusive mode.

Databases can get locked for a variety of reasons.
1. The DOS Read-Only attribute may be set. This can happen when you copy a new database from a CD to your local or network drive.
2. The first user to open the db doesn't have sufficient network permissions to create the .ldb file in the .mdb's network directory. Access opens the db but sets the DOS share to no so no one else can open it.
3. The first user to open the db (A2K or newer) modifies some object such as a form or report. This will allow other users read-only access to the db.
I'm sure that there are more.

DJBummy

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 16:40
I am changing companies and my db has been transfered to another server. It is opening in read only status. I think the reason is what Pat stated in example 1. The db was copied onto a cd and transfered to the new server. My question is how is this issue resolved.
Do I need to dust off the DOS book?

Thanks

Sorry jumped the gun. Right click on file and click properites. duh. My bad

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom