Our new home - post your opinions here (1 Viewer)

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Today, 09:02
I would like to get some feedback from users here about our new forum. Would love to hear what you think, both good and bad.

How is the site speed? What about the look and feel? Did you try it on mobile or iPad yet? Functionality? What do you miss? What do you particularly like? What needs changing?

Just a few questions to ask yourself, to get the grey matter thinking.

Last edited:

deletedT

Local time
Speed is great (Japan). It's like a lightning. much better than the previous one.
It takes while to play around and find what I was looking for.But it's huge jump. Thanks for it.
Search is just what I expected. No need to go to google to search the forum.
I also can drag a picture from a folder to the area I'm typing to add a in line image.
Perfect. I can't ask for more.

Last edited:

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
I haven't done any speed optimisations on this site yet. I hope to make it zippier.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
There, I just gave you a Like for kicks!

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
Today, 03:02
Jon, you already know that this exists: https://www.access-programmers.co.uk/forums/threads/welcome-to-our-new-home.309090/post-1663891. but this upgrade is literally *exactly* like over at Mr. Excel. let me test this as well....
Code:
'this is VBA code
dim db as dao.database
dim rs as dao.recordset
written as => "[ code = vba ]" <=

does it work??? hmmmm....doesn't look like it. that's supposed to be color coded....do you have the ability to fix that, sir? =)

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
It is the same platform as Mr. Excel, although we will probably be using different plugins

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
It is the same platform as Mr. Excel, although we will probably be using different plugins
see if you can get some color coding implemented, if you would.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Everything is open for discussion here. If enough people want something, then it might happen. Thanks for your addition.

moke123

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 04:02
I'm liking it so far. Very fast. Looks Great (No ads but we know they're coming)
Navigation seems easy and will only get better with use.
Well done.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Thanks @moke123. I also like how we can quote someones name and you probably get a notification to say you have been tagged.

moke123

AWF VIP
Local time
@Jon Yes, I did get a notification.
I like the mouseover on the avatar also. It's better than the old Who's online.
The preview is also better.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
I like the tabs at the top under What's new, Members etc. Lots of subsections in there with interesting information.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Looks pretty good, Jon. I'm sure there will be a learning curve, but having played around a bit on The Mind Tavern, I think I can make the switch. This old dog can still learn a FEW new tricks.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
It takes a while on any new platform. The lack of familiarity adds friction to the experience. But once that settles down, I am hoping there is a crossover point where people prefer this platform to the old one.

MajP

You've got your good things, and you've got mine.
Local time
Looks very nice, and works well.
However, what is the deal with Profile Posts on the front page? It is very strange. A lot of those look like private conversations. Why is that prominent on front page? Unfortunately, I was under the opinion with the old forums that those were private and not meant for public audience.

moke123

AWF VIP
Local time
where people prefer this platform to the old one.
I already do.

I see to quote someone you just need to highlight it and select reply. Nice. You dont have to quote the whole post
and theres notifications of new posts to the thread while you type a response.

Reactions: Jon

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
@MajP It is the default behaviour of the software. I am not sure of the rational behind that being put there. It is early days here so anything could change.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Hi Jon
Well done. Site is fast and looks good.
Inevitably having a bit of trouble getting used to the new layout but I'm sure it won't take too long

I hope you can get the post total and rep points back under the user name.
Personally not sure that Reactions or Trophies fulfil quite the same purpose

I've always viewed threads in reverse order with the newest at the top. Can't see that in Preferences. Can that still be done?
My online status is meant to be hidden but I can see a green online icon. Do others see it?

Profile messages? These look like the old visitor messages. Should these be on public view for everyone to see?

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Did you know you can hover over the avatar and get that data?

I don't believe you can reverse the order.

I don't see the green icon and you are not listed as online under the Members tab.

I haven't got time to look at the visitor messages thing yet. That will come with time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom