Our new home - post your opinions here (1 Viewer)

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 11:06
Not sure what this proves but I've done several searches for items that are both at AWF and on my own website (currently not https so not favoured in Google search).
Despite that my own site was sometimes higher in the links found. For example: Automatic form resizing Access
However at other times it was reversed with AWF higher e.g. System tables Access

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
I ditched Cloudflare and back to another CDN supplier. Site seems zippier to me already, although your mileage may vary.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
I'm not sure if it is a record or not, but we had 458 posts on Thursday. That is a lot!

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
we had 458 posts on Thursday. That is a lot!

I've noticed several people say that they are looking at MS Access because they are locked in and need something to do!

Dreamweaver

Local time
I'm on lockdown and gone into overdrive just to keep myself sain, It's doing wonders for my long term plans.

I just hope they keep at it after this is all over.

mick

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
For anyone who is interested:

1588431121039.png

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 06:06
And you were worried about the new forum software tanking your results! ;)

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Well, the stats still say we are considerably down in traffic. There is a distinct difference between the regular posters making posts and traffic coming from Google. My hope was that engagement would go up and it has. My fear was that traffic would go down and it has. What part of the calculation was, in switching platforms, was that over time, the extra engagement and more posts would lead to growth over the longer-term. Only time will tell on that one.

By making this the best place I possible can, with the nicest user experience and fastest page load times, people will want to hang out here, have fun, banter, learn and contribute. The only problem is I've started to get addicted to posting on here myself! But I have set a goal to cut that down, because I have such a massive todo list, I find that when I get stuck in on the political discussions, for example, it sucks up all my time and I get nothing done!

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
I am curious, for long standing members, do you think you are posting more, less or about the same as before?

strive4peace

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 05:06
I would like to get some feedback from users here about our new forum. Would love to hear what you think, both good and bad.
How is the site speed? What about the look and feel? Did you try it on mobile or iPad yet? Functionality? What do you miss? What do you particularly like? What needs changing?
Just a few questions to ask yourself, to get the grey matter thinking.
It's great, Jon! I can't compare since I haven't been posting here that long. Speed is good! Look and feel is wonderful, and conducive for friendliness.

I like that Alerts show what you haven't seen, although I haven't tried clicking on one but not something older to see if the older one I didn't visit is still there the next time.

Nice move putting CODE icons where they always show ... hopefully that will encourage people to use them!

thank you!!!

GinaWhipp

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 06:06
I am curious, for long standing members, do you think you are posting more, less or about the same as before?
Probably less right now but only because it's busy season for me.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
I am trying to work out where the increase in posts are coming from, and also if the change in software has encouraged established members to post more or not. The longer the time-frame, the more meaningful the stats will become. With Covid-19 changing a lot of the variables, finding the signal in the noise becomes a whole lot harder.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
To amplify my previous rather curt answer, the fact that I'm posting less is nothing to do with the new software which is a vast improvement in most respects.
It was a conscious decision to stay away from all the negativity associated with the now departed YKW who seemed to pervade almost every thread in the forum, usually in a negative way. It is noticeable that the atmosphere is now much better due to his absence.

Overall my impression is (as previously stated):
1. The number of new members has increased significantly (or a greater proportion are now doing an intro post)
2. There has been a shift away from Access based threads and an increase in watercooler type activity. That may well be a COVID side effect

Possibly totally unrelated, although my website visits haven't increased significantly, I'm currently getting far more sales and enquiries related to my apps than for several years. Some are indeed due to people wanting to update old apps in COVID induced spare time and hoping to incorporate some of my code. I expect some reached my website after clicking on links from here but i don't know whether that's related to the new software.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 03:06
Some are indeed due to people wanting to update old apps in COVID induced spare time and hoping to incorporate some of my code.
Is COVID-19 going to cause you to update your school apps? If so is that baked-in the initial price. Luckily I don't have retro fit anything that I know of.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Is COVID-19 going to cause you to update your school apps? If so is that baked-in the initial price. Luckily I don't have retro fit anything that I know of.
Sorry. Not sure I understand the link here.
Most of my sales at the moment are business/developer/personal apps. Unlikely that schools will be making purchases for some time

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom