Outlook express cause Access to hang (1 Viewer)

smig

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 02:20
I have a problem that Outlook Express cause my Access App to hang :(
Anyone else has this problem ?

Just to clarify - I don't connect to outlook or use outlook in my App in any way.
I do send mail using CDO

Last edited:

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Yesterday, 20:20
Has this always been the case or is this a new development? Can you show your code?

smig

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 02:20
Has this always been the case or is this a new development? Can you show your code?
Just to clarify - I don't connect to outlook or use outlook in my App in any way.
I do send mail using CDO

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Yesterday, 20:20
I see. I'm afraid I cant help you then. Hopefully someone else will come along. Either way, good luck!

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 00:20
Could you breakpoint your code to see what is causing it to hang?
Or are you saying since you installed Outlook Express Access is now broken?

It's not clear from your description exactly what/ or more accurately when this issue has occurred?

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 19:20
When you send a message through CDO, you have to point it to a "gateway" device. Normally CDO sends messages using SMTP protocol, which does not require it to go through another program (like Outlook or Outlook Express). That is true because SMTP is a simple protocol that can be easily handled in-line. In fact, assuming you could find the right "socket" you could even build the mail transmission yourself using VBA. But CDO does it cleaner and better.

Therefore, to say that Outlook Express hangs Access makes no particular sense. Do you have error trapping enabled? If so, do you get any errors?

My first guess at analysis would be to set a breakpoint in the routine where you do the .Send to identify which line "breaks" everything.

EDIT: @Minty - yep, both of us suggest stepping through the code. Great minds, great timing.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 00:20
As already stated, sendind email using CDO means no external email application is involved.
In fact no external email app needs to be installed.

Outlook Express was deprecated many years ago so I'm confused as to its relevance here.
IIRC, it hasn't been part of Windows since XP though someone may correct me on that.

I'm further confused by your reference to Outlook which is a totally different program to Outlook Express.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 19:20
While I have never used Outlook Express, I have experience in having both an Outlook version and CDO operating on the same machine. (It's a long story having to do with in-house and external mail targets on a machine that is a member of two networks at once.) CDO never interacted with Outlook in any way that I ever detected. Therefore, to say that some external program is causing the hang seems unlikely.

But out of curiosity... when this hang occurs, is something running? You could use Task Manager and the Performance tab to see if you perhaps have a runaway process. What do you have to do when the hang occurs in order to free up Access?

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Yesterday, 17:20
What is it that makes you believe it is Outlook causing the problem?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom