Outlook (1 Viewer)

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 16:56
Not sure why I keep using it. This product seems to get worse with every release. I've been having two problems for at least two years and I've given up hope for a fix so maybe someone can explain the problem.

1. When I close Outlook, it doesn't always close. It goes away from the tray but some part of it hangs around in memory. Sometimes if I start TaskManager, I can find the lurker and delete it but sometimes the errant module isn't visible and so I have to reboot. Am I the only one with this problem? Is there a way to close Outlook that will make it close cleanly? I've tried the two obvious ways to close - the "x" and File/Exit.
2. Outlook stops looking for new mail. It just freezes forcing me to close it and reopen which brings us back to problem 1.

Also,
The flag option used to allow me to use multiple colors so I could categorize the messages into groups without having to make additional folders. This feature went away some time ago or I just can't figure out where it is.

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 13:56
I haven't had the hanging problem, but for the flag issue make sure you're displaying the flag field. I haven't used it but it appears to still be there, with the option for custom flags.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Thanks, the flag is visible but there is no option that I can find that gives me the option to choose the color when I click. In the settings, the option is to choose the default color only so I can make it red or green, etc. But I can't choose which color when I click as I could with previous versions
QuickClick.JPG

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 20:56
If you right click in the email short list list I get this;
1636557526893.png

This is on O365 current subs - so bang up to date.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I'm using O365 also but I'm not seeing Categorize in the list
OutlookRightClickMenu.jpg

Last edited:

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
I'm using O365 also but I'm not seeing Categorize in the list
Pat, are you using IMAP?

Why can't I use categories in Outlook 365?

The IMAP protocol doesn't support the Category and Flag properties on messages and assigned categories and flags are not synced back to the IMAP server. If you need to use categories, you need to use a POP3 account instead or move the messages to a local pst file.

I have Categorize for my POP accounts, but not for the IMAP account?

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Thanks Gasman. What a PITA. That's the problem. I forgot why I switched to IMAP I guess I'll have to go read about the options again.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Thanks Gasman. What a PITA. That's the problem. I forgot why I switched to IMAP I guess I'll have to go read about the options again.
Probably to sync on multiple computers?

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Probably to sync on multiple computers?
I think you can do that with POP3 as long as you tick the box to leave messages on the server?
Or some other badly worded setting??

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
I think you can do that with POP3 as long as you tick the box to leave messages on the server?
Or some other badly worded setting??
Yes @Minty that is what I do.
I just set up the works email as IMAP as all my personal accounts are POP3.
TBH I would have to test, as while the emails are still on he server, not sure if the server recognises that x emails were not downloaded to a particular PC.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
It might have been because Yahoo (which hosts my ATT email acct) stopped supporting Pop3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom