Parent / Child Relationship (1 Viewer)

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
Today, 18:01
Is it possible to make a Parent / Child Relationship tables with OLE object like I do with short text?

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 15:01
Hi. I don't think that's possible. You may have to find another way to relate the tables other than the OLE object field. Sorry.

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
Hi. I don't think that's possible. You may have to find another way to relate the tables other than the OLE object field. Sorry.
Thanks for answering. I have Parent/child in my church DB with my meetings in a child table, it works fine. I am trying to put an image in my coin DB. I wasn't able to make it work. I didn't want to clutter my form so I tried putting the OLE on a separate form with a cmd on the main form to view the image. What do you suggest I try?

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Thanks for answering. I have Parent/child in my church DB with my meetings in a child table, it works fine. I am trying to put an image in my coin DB. I wasn't able to make it work. I didn't want to clutter my form so I tried putting the OLE on a separate form with a cmd on the main form to view the image. What do you suggest I try?
If you're asking me, I usually use a Number field to relate one table to another. Most of the time, that means an Autonumber field. Don't know if that approach is applicable to your coin db. Maybe you could try it?

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
If you're asking me, I usually use a Number field to relate one table to another. Most of the time, that means an Autonumber field. Don't know if that approach is applicable to your coin db. Maybe you could try it?
That is what I had. The parent field was (coinsID) autoNumbering,` and the foreign key was (coinsID) large Integer. However, the field that the image was in was a OLEobject. If I try to put the image directly on the main form, what container would I use?

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
That is what I had. The parent field was (coinsID) autoNumbering,` and the foreign key was (coinsID) large Integer. However, the field that the image was in was a OLEobject. If I try to put the image directly on the main form, what container would I use?
Ok found it myself. Bound Object frame.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Well, if you have a one-to-one relationship, you would use a bound OLE Object control. But if you have a one-to-many relationship, then you should use a Subform to display the coin images (but you would still use a bound OLE Object control - that is if your data type is OLE Object). If your images are of a different data type, such as Attachment, then you would use a more appropriate control to display them on the form..

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
Well, if you have a one-to-one relationship, you would use a bound OLE Object control. But if you have a one-to-many relationship, then you should use a Subform to display the coin images (but you would still use a bound OLE Object control - that is if your data type is OLE Object). If your images are of a different data type, such as Attachment, then you would use a more appropriate control to display them on the form..
Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom