Passing Variables (1 Viewer)

Yianni

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 20:37
I have a Dialog box that is called by a button in a subform. The dialog box allows the user to find the full path and choose a graphic file. The filepath and filename is returned to an unbound box in the dialog box. I need help in returning this path and file name to a field in the subform. (global variables,modules ??)

Thanks

June7

AWF VIP
Local time
Yesterday, 16:37
Options:

1. global variable declared in general module, dialog form sets value of the variable and code in the subform references. Show your code for opening the dialog form

2. TempVars (I've never used)

3. Code behind the dialog form sets value of textbox in the subform

Yianni

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks. I guess I need to study and see what I can do.

StevePupel

Local time
You can create a text box on the parent form and set the visibility property to false. Then you can store your info in the text box. The VB code within the subform will be able to access the value. There's a number of ways you could reference the control which is storing the value you need: Forms!ParentFormName!txtHiddenTextBoxThatStoresYourValue

This will work, but only if the code is running within the scope of the subform: Me.Parent!txtHiddenTextBoxThatStoresYourValue

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 01:37
You can create a text box on the parent form and set the visibility property to false.

This is indeed the traditional method of transferring information between one form and another. I term it the "Yellow Box" method, in that traditionally the back color of these data transfer controls is set to "Yellow" so that they stick out like sore thumbs!

An alternative method and a one that I consider somewhat tidier is to create a Custom Property within your form. This will perform the same task without resorting to an invisible control on your form.

You can see one of these custom properties and description of it in this video:- 1) - OOP's Beginner - Intro - Nifty Access --- the custom property shown is actually one which stores an object, and not just a simple string variable.

This gives you even more potential in transferring information between forms....

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Here's a Sample dB named:-
InvisibleTextBoxReplacementDemo

Attachments

• InvisibleTextBoxReplacementDemo.zip
    25.8 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:

Yianni

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks for sending the code. I unzipped it to a folder and tried it, but it didn't seem to work. anything I can do?

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
If you post your database to the forum I might be able to have a look at it tomorrow and if I can't get around to it I'm sure someone else will....

Yianni

Registered User.
Local time
I am submitting my Code crude as it is. Thanks

Attachments

• NewZip.zip
    92.3 KB · Views: 91

Cronk

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 10:37
Tony's code works fine. It doesn't work in your database because you have not implemented it.

You can make it work using another method suggested earlier in the thread (as you tried to do with global variable), ie
on the close button code of your dialog form, replace

PhotoOfPainting = PathString
with
forms!frmArtist.frmlPaintingsubform.form!PhotoOfPainting=Pathstring

Yianni

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks so much. I got it to work. Now to clean it up and see what I can do. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom