Password Encrypted Database Table Missing Record - Deleted Mysteriously (1 Viewer)

Robecca

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 00:18
Our BE database is password encrypted and only I can get in it for maintenance. This morning between 7:15 & 7:20 a record entered 3/9 was just "gone", basically as if it never existed. I don't think we would have ever noticed this if it happened in April to the same record, but we're working with month end data and it was apparent it was gone.

I've googled but I can't find out why this may happen and I was wondering if anyone else has had this happen.

Thank you! Robecca

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Considering that any code or queries might exist in the front end that would delete record(s), it seems like the possibilities are kind of ... endless, here. Right? Only the designer of the front end could speak to the likely interface-driven features that might make this happen.

Unless someone opened your front end using Shift bypass, viewed the linked tables manually, and deleted a record.

Also, I'm curious how you know that the record was deleted within those 5 minutes?

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 15:18
Stellar Phoenix can Recover Deleted records.
also can you Re-enter those missing data.
for once, i become a data entry operator and
one of my duties is to make sure to keep a
file copy (filed by date) of the hardcopy.

Last edited:

Robecca

Registered User.
Local time
Considering that any code or queries might exist in the front end that would delete record(s), it seems like the possibilities are kind of ... endless, here. Right? Only the designer of the front end could speak to the likely interface-driven features that might make this happen.

Unless someone opened your front end using Shift bypass, viewed the linked tables manually, and deleted a record.

Also, I'm curious how you know that the record was deleted within those 5 minutes?
I designed both the FE & BE. I have the FE's Shift bypass password protected. I have it set up so they flag records as cancelled rather than allowing them to delete records.

Because our operation is in one state and I am in another, I have the BE uploaded to Dropbox automatically, but sometimes I force the upload. Wednesday morning, I forced the upload and 5 mins later, was the next automatic upload of the BE.

I am at a loss to how it happened. Thought maybe someone had something similar and an idea of prevention.

Thanks!

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Gotcha. I wonder if something weird happened in the dropbox aspect?

Robecca

Registered User.
Local time
Stellar Phoenix can Recover Deleted records.
also can you Re-enter those missing data.
for once, i become a data entry operator and
one of my duties is to make sure to keep a
file copy (filed by date) of the hardcopy.
Hi - I keep a daily backup taken at 11:59pm. The BE is also uploaded automatically a few times a day to Dropbox since I'm in a different state, so I have access to multiple copies of each day for a full month through Dropbox. However, I had uploaded the database to Dropbox just 5 mins before the deletion, so I was able to re-enter the missing entry, obviously not in the order it had originally been located. I was just "hoping" someone else might know why this could happen without a person deleting it. Thansks!

Robecca

Registered User.
Local time
Gotcha. I wonder if something weird happened in the dropbox aspect?
I was contacted by one of our billing staff that it was missing, they're working from the server. I just used Dropbox to get the record re-entered. It is a puzzle.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 08:18
I don't have an answer as to how/why this happened but you say your shift bypass state is password protected.
Are you aware it is possible to 'bypass' that section of code and re-enable the shift bypass anyway (without entering or even knowing the password)

Robecca

Registered User.
Local time
I don't have an answer as to how/why this happened but you say your shift bypass state is password protected.
Are you aware it is possible to 'bypass' that section of code and re-enable the shift bypass anyway (without entering or even knowing the password)
Hi, I guess not, I thought the coding I had done protected it. How do I get passed it?

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 08:18
Well I don't know what coding you used but typically you would ask users to enter the password in an input box and an incorrect answer will cause that procedure to exit.

The shift bypass can easily be re-enabled from an external database. I'm not going to go into the details here.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom