Password Expiry/User Lock Out in Access 2016 (1 Viewer)

JessyR

Local time
Today, 04:05
Hello, I am a student taking a introductory course In Access. We have not touched on VBA programming, and I don't think we will be during this course. We have been assigned a research paper to answer questions about adding security to an Access Database (in Access 2016).

Two of the questions are as follows:

1. How to add a password expiry function to a MS Access database. In order to support security, the database will have a password expiry date of 30 days after the last login.

2. How to lock out a user after 3 failed logon attempts. To prevent unauthorized access, users who have more than three invalid logon attempts will be locked out of the database and be required to go to those assigned with Security or Administrator roles to unlock their user ID.

I do NOT need to implement these functions into a database, only explain theoretically HOW they would be done.

Is there a way do perform these functions without using VBA?

I have been searching for weeks to find these answers, and all I can find is some of the actual code that would be used in practice. As I have no experience in Coding, this is of minimal help, as I can't articulate how it should be used, or what it means.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 04:05
Is there a way do perform these functions without using VBA?
Hi Jessy. Welcome to AWF! I don't claim to know all the options and features of Access; but based on my limited experience, I am not aware of how to do what you're asking without using VBA, even with Access 2016 (unless I'm missing something with the newer versions of Access). Sorry.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 12:05
Hi Jessy
Welcome to AWF.
Have a look at my example database https://www.access-programmers.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=193131 which includes both of those features.
Hopefully, after trying the app, you will be able to understand how both features are implemented sufficiently to explain the approach. The comments in the code (and in the linked thread) should help.
As it is a college assignment task, it wouldn't be appropriate in my view to actually provide the answers. You need to do the research yourself.
It might theoretically be possible to do both of these using macros but I doubt it. VBA is definitely the way to go

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 19:05
my ans:
1. put the expiry date on a table.
on each opening of database, have an autoexec macro that will Lookup the value
from the table. if the date >= to the date in table, show the expiry message and quit
the app.
2. add a user table with fields like username, password, locked(Boolean).
on opening the db, provide a login form.
add a Tempvar variable that will count the number of try the user made on wrong attempts.
if it exceed,

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 12:05
you can't do this without code.

you should be able to conceptually "imagine" how you would implement this.

Store a password in a data table.
Force the database to open to a login form
Validate the user login/password
Make sure there are no back-door mechanisms to bypass the checks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom