Path error after trial to deploy database on OneDrive (1 Viewer)

Susy

Local time
Today, 08:06
Hi all,

I have tried to deploy my database on OneDrive, I splitted it in the OneDrive and then I tried to share the front end part, but unfortunately it didn't work. The person with whom I shared it, has received the following message when opening it:

1587564434109.png

For me, the app worked perfectly. After abandoning the sharing process through OneDrive, I deleted everything in my OneDrive and I went back to the drive where I created the app. Surprise, I now receive exactly the same message as my colleague.

First of all, can anyone please help me to make this error message disappear?

Secondly, any advice on the deploying of the database?

Thanks, Susy

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 23:06
Hi Susy. Have you tried using the Linked Table Manager? Hopefully, you just need to relink the tables.

Ranman256

Local time
Today, 02:06
if you move the backend, you must relink the FE.

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
...and I would not link to a be across the cloud if that's what you're doing. By that I mean fe is on user pc and be is on/in the cloud.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 07:06
if you need remote access, consider using terminal server

Susy

Local time
Hi Susy. Have you tried using the Linked Table Manager? Hopefully, you just need to relink the tables.
Thanks a lot. Indeed in the Linked Table Manager, there was a weird link that I have never requested! I simply deleted it and everything works fine now. Thanks a lot!

Susy

Local time
...and I would not link to a be across the cloud if that's what you're doing. By that I mean fe is on user pc and be is on/in the cloud.
Thanks Micron. What do you exactly mean? I have created the app on the C and I thought to copy it to the cloud and then split it in the cloud. Do you think that this is a bad idea?

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 23:06
Thanks a lot. Indeed in the Linked Table Manager, there was a weird link that I have never requested! I simply deleted it and everything works fine now. Thanks a lot!
Hi. Glad to hear you got it sorted out. Good luck with your project.

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
There's an informative treatise in this forum somewhere about using Access over wifi and cloud-type servers IIRC. I think it was Doc Man's and would be worth reading if you can find it. Perhaps he or the actual author will provide a pointer. In short, I mean the best scenario in a network environment is that the fe is on user pc and be is on network drive at worst, but the connection is wired. When it comes to cloud services I don't know a lot about them, but in this case I'm talking about actively editing data over such a connection. If you're downloading, editing locally then uploading, that is a different story - one which then introduces issues of replication.

mindeatn

Local time
Today, 01:06
You could move the base OneDrive folder to something like c:\OneDrive on each computer. Then all the table links will be the same on each PC. I've done this several times. You must be sure, tho, that only one user works on the database at a time, and then the changed data accdb must sync to the other user(s) hard drives. This should work, but you really run the risk of data/file collisions/corruption. Are you working with a LOT of data? If you don't want to bother with setting up a SQL Server, you could convert your data tables to Sharepoint Lists. I've done this very successfully -- many user may access/add/edit data at the same time through their Access front-end assdb.

sonic8

AWF VIP
Local time
They sync between my various PCs with no problem. I can't be on them from more than one computer at the same time, of course.
And don't forget to always close Access on one computer before it goes to standby, or you close the lid, or the WiFi goes down, or whatever else happens to prevent syncing your changes ...

As I also said in the linked article: It can work for a single user database, but you need to have more discipline and the risk of corruption due to "accidents" is significantly higher than with a normal network share.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Keeping an Access database on a cloud drive is an accident waiting to happen If the file is not shared, there is no reason to use a cloud drive. Keep it on your local pc or copy it down, run it and copy it back which is also extremely dangerous. Keep it as a zip file on the cloud drive so you don't accidentally open it. Add a backup folder. Rename the file when you copy it down, you can create a batch file to do this so you don't forget. Just because nothing bad has happened yet, doesn't mean that it won't. This is really an unsound solution.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom