Paul Harvey says: (1 Viewer)

KenHigg

Local time
Today, 11:13
I don't believe in Santa Claus, but I'm not going to sue somebody for singing a Ho-Ho-Ho song in December. I don't agree with Darwin, but I didn't go out and hire a lawyer when my high school teacher taught his theory of evolution.

Life, liberty or your pursuit of happiness will not be endangered because someone says a 30-second prayer before a football game.

So what's the big deal? It's not like somebody is up there reading the entire book of Acts. They're just talking to a God they believe in and asking him to grant safety to the players on the field and the fans going home from the game.

But it's a Christian prayer, some will argue.

Yes, and this is the United States of America, a country founded on Christian principles. According to our very own phone book, Christian churches outnumber all others better than 200-to-1. So what would you expect-somebody chanting Hare Krishna?

If I went to a football game in Jerusalem, I would expect to hear a Jewish prayer.

If I went to a soccer game in Baghdad, I would expect to hear a Muslim prayer.

If I went to a ping pong match in China, I would expect to hear someone pray to Buddha.

And I wouldn't be offended. It wouldn't bother me one bit. When in Rome .

But what about the atheists? is another argument.

What about them?
Nobody is asking them to be baptized. We're not going to pass the collection plate. Just humor us for 30 seconds. If that's asking too much, bring a Walkman or a pair of ear plugs. Go to the bathroom. Visit the concession stand. Call your lawyer!

Unfortunately, one or two will make that call. One or two will tell thousands what they can and cannot do. I don't think a short prayer at a football game is going to shake the world's foundations.

Christians are just sick and tired of turning the other cheek while our courts strip us of all our rights. Our parents and grandparents taught us to pray before eating; to pray before we go to sleep.

Our Bible tells us to pray without ceasing. Now a handful of people and their lawyers are telling us to cease praying.

God, help us.
And if that last sentence offends you, well ... just sue me.

The silent majority has been silent too long. It's time we let that one or two who scream loud enough to be heard. That the vast majority don't care what they want. It is time the majority rules! It's time we tell them, you don't have to pray; you don't have to say the pledge of allegiance; you don't have to believe in God or attend services that honor Him. That is your right, and we will honor your right. But by golly, you are no longer going to take our rights away. We are fighting back ...
and we WILL WIN!

God bless us one and all ... especially those who denounce Him. God bless America, despite all her faults. She is still the greatest nation of all .

God bless our service men who are fighting to protect our right to pray and worship God.

May 2005 be the year the silent majority is heard and we put God back as the foundation of our families and institutions.
:)

jsanders

If I Only had a Brain
Local time
I couldn't have said it better myself.

FoFa

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 10:13
That is so right wing pro GWB.

jsanders

If I Only had a Brain
Local time
Sometimes being in the middle alloy you some leeway.

Political correctness gets real old.

Newman

Québécois
Local time
Even though I am atheist, I agree with you all the way. But...

Couldn't you replace this sentence :
She is still the greatest nation of all.
By this:
She is still one of the greatest nations.

No wonder you get bad replies by people from around the world. Saying that you are the best just means that we are of less value. We are not! And even if we were, then you aren't the best anymore if you keep bragging about it.
No offence!

nateobot

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 10:13
Newman said:
Even though I am atheist, I agree with you all the way. But...

Couldn't you replace this sentence :
She is still the greatest nation of all.
By this:
She is still one of the greatest nations.

No wonder you get bad replies by people from around the world. Saying that you are the best just means that we are of less value. We are not! And even if we were, then you aren't the best anymore if you keep bragging about it.
No offence!

It is more of showing pride for your country. No different than a Canadien saying Canada is still the greatest nation of all, or a German saying it, etc...

Consider it less bragging and more pride and honor (for your country).

Similar to Hockey teams saying they have the best fans on the planet. Baseball fans don't get up in arms about it, they just disagree and think they are the best fans.

:)

TessB

Plays well with others
Local time
Newman,

We're told we are the best. And we'd be considered unpatriotic if we were to dissent. :cool:
I've had arguments with my fellow Americans when I've asked what makes us the best. And I've asked how they can know we are the best when this is the only place they've ever lived. All I get is propaganda.

I'm not saying America is a horrible place. I'd agree with you that it's ONE of the best. But I don't know which country I would consider to be the best society in which to live.

Kraj

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 15:13
Paul Harvey said:
I don't agree with Darwin, but I didn't go out and hire a lawyer when my high school teacher taught his theory of evolution.
Hmmm... this isn't so true anymore, now is it?

Paul Harvey said:
Yes, and this is the United States of America, a country founded on Christian principles.
It still amazes me how many people believe this. This country was founded by Christians, not on Christian principles. There is not one single element to the Constitution or Bill of Rights that has any relationship to Christianity whatsoever. Except of course for the part where it explicitly states that the government will have nothing to do with religion. Even the references to God in the Declaration of Independence make no reference to moral values or Christian principles.

I just love how the religious right tries to circumvent the Constitution by claiming special insight into the mindset of the framers.

Paul Harvey said:
If I went to a football game in Jerusalem...
If I went to a soccer game in Baghdad...
If I went to a ping pong match in China...
Ah yes, Israel...Iraq...China. These are shining examples of countries with religious freedom such as we can only hope to achieve! :rolleyes:

(I wonder why he didn't list a city in China?)

Paul Harvey said:
Christians are just sick and tired of turning the other cheek while our courts strip us of all our rights. Our parents and grandparents taught us to pray before eating; to pray before we go to sleep.
Who says you can't? Are any children being thrown out of school for praying at lunch time? No.

BTW, isn't 'turning the other cheek' what Jesus teaches? Isn't it extraordinarily hypocritical to claim the Christian thing to do is to stop turning the other cheek? :confused:

Paul Harvey said:
The silent majority has been silent too long.
I agree. But if Paul Harvey thinks the silent majority are Christians, he's got another thing coming. The silent majority are the people in the middle of the road; it's the extremists in this country who make the noise.

Paul Harvey said:
God bless our service men who are fighting to protect our right to pray and worship God.
God bless the priests who carry out their instructions to deny communion to politicians who do not support the Church's political positions. And let God not bless the service men who are fighting to protect our right not to pray or worship God.

jsanders

If I Only had a Brain
Local time
TessB said:
Newman,

We're told we are the best. And we'd be considered unpatriotic if we were to dissent. :cool:
I've had arguments with my fellow Americans when I've asked what makes us the best. And I've asked how they can know we are the best when this is the only place they've ever lived. All I get is propaganda.

I'm not saying America is a horrible place. I'd agree with you that it's ONE of the best. But I don't know which country I would consider to be the best society in which to live.

Why Tess; Texas of course.

R

Rich

I don't believe in Santa Claus, but I'm not going to sue somebody for singing a Ho-Ho-Ho song in December.

and athiests in your country don't sue the government for the wording on your dollar bills either:rolleyes:

Life, liberty or your pursuit of happiness will not be endangered because someone says a 30-second prayer before a football game.
nah, you just get bored waiting for the kick off

Yes, and this is the United States of America, a country founded on Christian principles

When did you abandon them?:confused:

Christians are just sick and tired of turning the other cheek while our courts strip us of all our rights.

this is from the shoot first, ask questions later country, this is a comedy sketch, surely:rolleyes:

God, help us.
somebody's got too, but then he hasn't helped much in the past, has he? perhaps you should start looking somehere else

God bless America, despite all her faults. She is still the greatest nation of all .
depends on whether you've been murdered or not

In Iraq? :confused:

Kenny, just curious, why wasn't this posted in the jokes thread? best laugh I've had for yonks

KenHigg

Local time
Kraj said:
It still amazes me how many people believe this. This country was founded by Christians, not on Christian principles. There is not one single element to the Constitution or Bill of Rights that has any relationship to Christianity whatsoever. Except of course for the part where it explicitly states that the government will have nothing to do with religion. Even the references to God in the Declaration of Independence make no reference to moral values or Christian principles.

I just love how the religious right tries to circumvent the Constitution by claiming special insight into the mindset of the framers.

I'm guessing that if a bunch of Christain people establish a country, it would be likely that they considered their Christain beliefs when they did up the rules. However, seems they were a bit short-sighted when they claimed to want seperation of Church and State and then put the word 'God' all over everything... :confused:

BarryMK

4 strings are enough
Local time
Christians are just sick and tired of turning the other cheek while our courts strip us of all our rights.

Kraj said:
BTW, isn't 'turning the other cheek' what Jesus teaches? Isn't it extraordinarily hypocritical to claim the Christian thing to do is to stop turning the other cheek? :confused:

I agree with you Kraj. Just another instance of a religious extremist (In the UK we call them nutters) claiming to follow Christian teachings, whilst in reality only following the bits they like.

As an atheist from childhood, (I was brought up to make my own mind up about religion not brainwashed every Sunday like so many of my friends) I do recall from the many turgid school lessons of Religious Instruction we had to endure that one of Christ's main teachings was to "turn the other cheek". Seems to me this Harvey chap (whoever he is) obviously knows better than the figure he's supposed to venerate as the son of God. Wasn't Christ supposed to have preached humility too?

Friday

Registered User.
Local time
Paul Harvey is a fraud and a lunatic. Read the following:

Harvey's commentary began by lamenting the decline of American wartime aggression. "We're standing there dying, daring to do nothing decisive because we've declared ourselves to be better than our terrorist enemies--more moral, more civilized," he said. Drawing a contrast with what he cast as the praiseworthy nuclear bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki in World War II, Harvey lamented that "we sent men with rifles into Afghanistan and Iraq and kept our best weapons in their silos"--suggesting that America should have used its nuclear arsenal in its invasions of both countries.

Harvey concluded:

"We didn't come this far because we're made of sugar candy. Once upon a time, we elbowed our way onto and across this continent by giving smallpox-infected blankets to Native Americans. That was biological warfare. And we used every other weapon we could get our hands on to grab this land from whomever.

"And we grew prosperous. And yes, we greased the skids with the sweat of slaves. So it goes with most great nation-states, which--feeling guilty about their savage pasts--eventually civilize themselves out of business and wind up invaded and ultimately dominated by the lean, hungry up-and-coming who are not made of sugar candy."

No wonder we are the most hated nation on the planet. People actually think this guy is some kind of modern day philosopher. He's an idiot, maybe senility is getting him, whatever. :mad:

Silverblood

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 16:13
Friday said:
People actually think this guy is some kind of modern day philosopher. He's an idiot, maybe senility is getting him, whatever. :mad:

I don't think so, i think he's one hell of a stand-up comedian...
Why even take the stuff he writes serious?

Mile-O

Back once again...
Local time
Having never heard of Paul Harvey I now conclude that he's a twat! :)

A twat! said:
They're just talking to a God they believe in and asking him to grant safety to the players on the field and the fans going home from the game.

In as much as I believe that religion should be separate from the state I don't think there's a place for religion in entertainment either...the GOD Channel on Sky being an exception since viewing that becomes choice.

Hi said:
Our parents and grandparents taught us to pray before eating; to pray before we go to sleep.
To pray before thinking?

Twat said:

I hate this half-assed statement. Rights aren't stripped; you are still free to pray in a place of worship and in the body of your own home. Where better?

Twat said:
Oh...it's a holy war America's involved in? :rolleyes:

Twat said:
If I went to a ping pong match in China, I would expect to hear someone pray to Buddha.

Ah, ping pong matches. Nothing like bringing out the stereotypes, is there?

Twat said:
God bless America, despite all her faults. She is still the greatest nation of all .

Now this wouldn't have bothered me if he'd said "She is still, in my opinion, the greatest nation of all." but he didn't and made it sound so matter of fact that its nothing more than a piece of blunt brainwashing. I'm currently reading Aldous Huxley's Brave New World and the introduction of political and social mantras into one's life seems like of foreshadowing of such brainwashing.

KenHigg

Local time
Wow. This must have really struck a nerve. It even got SJ riled up... :D

R

Rich

Friday said:
People actually think this guy is some kind of modern day philosopher. He's an idiot, maybe senility is getting him, whatever. :mad:
' reminds me of a twat here called the Rev Ian Paisley:rolleyes:
I bet they're both Bush supporters

Friday

Registered User.
Local time
SJ McAbney said:
I'm currently reading Aldous Huxley's Brave New World and the introduction of political and social mantras into one's life seems like of foreshadowing of such brainwashing.

The symptoms of future shock are with us now...

Different book, same take. :D

Friday

Registered User.
Local time
Rich said:
' reminds me of a twat here called the Rev Ian Paisley:rolleyes:
I bet they're both Bush supporters

On November 09, 2005, Paul Harvey received the Presidential Medal of Freedom from President George W. Bush. :rolleyes:

Mile-O

Back once again...
Local time
Friday said:
The symptoms of future shock are with us now..

Being an owner of this on vinyl I can assure you that the symptons are awful. :(

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom