PC to MAC (1 Viewer)

Dennisk

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 19:54
Due to the incessant problems I have with microsoft products and their philosphy of bringing out bloatware and bug ridden software that consumes any hardware gains from Moores Law. I would like to move to a MAC. Has anybody any experience of this.

I have 1000s of photos many in Adobe elements format plus music (samples, sound font files and wave files) using Cubase express. In addition I have many Access dbs for my hobbies and for recreational programming I use VB6 and VB.net.

On the hardware side I have a scanner, printer, camera, USB drives and a top of the range Creative Soundcard that allows me to plug in guitars, tape decks, turntables etc. All of it seems to 'sort of co-exist' with PC crashes commonplace, lockups, inability to close the system at times. Its even worse at work.

Ron_dK

Cool bop aficionado
Local time
Today, 20:54
Dennis,

Beside a PC, I have an old MAC G4.
I use the MAC mainly with Cubase SX as a recording station and use it to convert all kind of wav's, mp3's and stuff. For this type of things the MAC is unbeatable.
Other things, like PDF is no problem, but Access (even in emulated mode) is difficult to run. But as said, I hardly use any "office" stuff on the Maccie.

btw. I never heard of Cubase express. What version is that ?

Cheers,
Ron

Dennisk

AWF VIP
Local time
Ron

I think its called cubase express its basically a 'lite' version thats comes with creative soundcards.

What sort of soundcard is used by MACs (I don't even know of anybody with a MAC so I have no one to ask)?

Does it support sound font files.

Im even prepared to ditch vb.net and rewrite what i have developed so far in the version of C that comes with a MAC

Ron_dK

Cool bop aficionado
Local time
Dennis,

You can use almost every sound card in a MAC.
Originally I had a Terratec installed, but replaced it with a M-AUDIO Audiophile 2496 Card.

I'm not familiar with sound font files, since I run Gigasampler in combination with Cubase. So I use samples in Giga driven by Cubase midi files.

I'm sure that there were more threads on this forum about Mac.
I found one :
http://www.access-programmers.co.uk/forums/archive/index.php/t-110625.html

You might do a search for others.

Ron

shades

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 14:54
If you buy a new Mac, you can use Parallels and run Windows with Access on it (If you dont' find an alternative).
________
Buy Mflb

Last edited:

Dennisk

AWF VIP
Local time
Shades,
I've been doing some research and Virtual PC comes with Windows XP, but I think Parallels requires your own version of windows.

What I have done now is to purchase (on the final day of the offer) an XP laptop. So now I can run all my Access dbs. Hopefully I can purchase my MAC in a month or two (MY PC is completely dead now) and convert all my Cubase work either to MAC cubase or go for something completely different. Maybe Abelton Live or something similar.

Ron_dK

Cool bop aficionado
Local time
Hopefully I can purchase my MAC in a month or two (MY PC is completely dead now) and convert all my Cubase work either to MAC cubase or go for something completely different. Maybe Abelton Live or something similar.

Or M-Audio Digidesign Pro Tools , one of the best programs in it's kind. Runs both in Windows and Mac OS/X

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom