pdf file size too big when using DoCmd.OutputTo acOutputReport (1 Viewer)

MMK

Local time
Today, 09:36
Hello.

I am relatively new to Access VBA and cannot find an answer to my problem. I am using Access 2007 with the add-in that allows printing directly to a pdf file. When I print my report manually to a pdf file, the resulting pdf file is 60KB. When I use VBA to programatically print the same report using DoCmd.OutputTo acOutputReport, the resulting pdf file is over 300KB - 5 times larger! I will be printing over 15,000 reports and emailing them, so this causes multiple issues.

Below is the code that I am using:

DoCmd.OutputTo acOutputReport, "MyReport", acFormatPDF, strPath & "MyReport" & strLoc & ".pdf"

I have set the Acrobat preferences conversion settings to "smallest file size". I have also gone to the Advanced settings in the preferences dialog box and changed the resolution, but that didn't help. I have also tried adding the Output Quality parameter and tried acExportQualityScreen vs. acExportQualityPrint, but there is virtually no difference in the resulting file size.

I feel like there must be a setting somewhere that I am missing, but I just cannot figure out what's going on. If anyone has any tips, I would greatly appreciate it!

HiTechCoach

Local time
Today, 08:36
When I print my report manually to a pdf file, the resulting pdf file is 60KB.
Do we assume this means that you are printing the report and selecting Acrobat as the printer?

I have set the Acrobat preferences conversion settings to "smallest file size". I have also gone to the Advanced settings in the preferences dialog box and changed the resolution, but that didn't help. I have also tried adding the Output Quality parameter and tried acExportQualityScreen vs. acExportQualityPrint, but there is virtually no difference in the resulting file size.

It is my understanding the Microsoft's PDF creator follows all the government regulations for ADA. This requires additional data to be added to the PDF file to be in compliance that will increase the file size.

My guess is that in Adobe Acrobat when you select smallest file size" that the PDF file does not include the data for ADA compliance.

MMK

Local time
Today, 09:36
Thank you. Yes, when I'm manually printing, I am selecting Adobe pdf, and I am using Adobe Acrobat 9 standard.

That's an interesting fact about Microsoft's PDF creator. So I guess there aren't any options for changing how it creates the pdf file, i.e. whether or not it adds the additional data that is making the file size bigger?

Do you have any suggestions for any other options for creating this many pdf files for emailing?

Thanks for your help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom