Percentage entry as 4.5 instead of 0.045 (1 Viewer)

access2010

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 07:01
We have tried many different ways of entering a percentage value, without success.

How can we enter 4.5 and have it shown as 4.5%

Your assistance will be appreciated.
Crystal

Attachments

• Percent_296.mdb
    288 KB · Views: 90

plog

Banishment Pending
Local time
Today, 09:01
In a database it shouldn't matter what the value looks like in a table as long as it holds the correct value. Formatting is for forms and reports.

Attached is a database that stores the data correctly and has a form so that the user sees it in the manner you want.

Attachments

• FormExample.mdb
    308 KB · Views: 84

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 14:01
If your concern is that you want the user to be able to enter 4.5, then you could use a combobox linked to a lookup table with two Fields, one field containing the correct percentage value and another field containing the percentage value you want the user to see/display/select.

Alternatively you could have a pop-up form which allows the user to type in 4.5 but then converts the 4.5 to the correct percentage value and places that in the text box, and then have the text box format the value to appear as 4.5.

access2010

Registered User.
Local time
In a database it shouldn't matter what the value looks like in a table as long as it holds the correct value. Formatting is for forms and reports.

Attached is a database that stores the data correctly and has a form so that the user sees it in the manner you want.
Thank you for your suggestion.
The volunteers entering data keep making errors in their entries.
How can I set up a filter so that 4.5% for an example is entered as 4.5%?

Thank you,
Nicole

access2010

Registered User.
Local time
If your concern is that you want the user to be able to enter 4.5, then you could use a combobox linked to a lookup table with two Fields, one field containing the correct percentage value and another field containing the percentage value you want the user to see/display/select.

Alternatively you could have a pop-up form which allows the user to type in 4.5 but then converts the 4.5 to the correct percentage value and places that in the text box, and then have the text box format the value to appear as 4.5.
Thank you for your suggestion.
I have not seen a popup form as you have suggested, could you please send us a sample database?
Thank you
Nicole

June7

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 06:01
What errors do they make? I experimented with a number field set with percent Format and 1 decimal place. I type either 4.5 or .045 and both store 0.045 and display 4.5%. However, if I type 0.045 the value saved is 0 and 0% displays. Educate users to type 4.5.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
could you please send us a sample database?

The code is available on my website here:-

Along with instructions on how to use it.

access2010

Registered User.
Local time
What errors do they make? I experimented with a number field set with percent Format and 1 decimal place. I type either 4.5 or .045 and both store 0.045 and display 4.5%. However, if I type 0.045 the value saved is 0 and 0% displays. Educate users to type 4.5.
Thank you for your note, our field is set up as;
Data type = Number
Field Size = Single
Format = Percent
Decimal Places = 2
Default Value = 0

We would like to see 4.5% as the dividend amount
Now we enter 0.045
We would like to enter 4.5

Your suggestion will be appreciated.
Nicole

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Try this video

Attachments

• 20201023_215359.zip
    1.3 MB · Views: 88

access2010

Registered User.
Local time
Thank you ALL, for your suggestions.
I will try the following format.
Data Type = Number
Field Size - Double
Format = Standard
Decimal Places = 2
And I will place a label to the right of the field = Percent %
In my testing this should work.

Nicole

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 10:01
single is a more appropriate size.

Use Format = Percent rather than standard

If you don't set the format to percent, Access will interpret 4.5 as 4.5 rather than .045

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
I must admit I am struggling to understand why any of you in the office cannot get this right? :(

You have been supplied details of what is required, you have been supplied a DB that shows it working and so what is needed, you have been supplied a video to also show what is needed. OK, you might not need percent on the table format, but I was expecting you to enter direct to the table as well?

So with a few small changes, you can get what you want working, but it seems to elude you.? :unsure:

access2010

Registered User.
Local time
single is a more appropriate size.

Use Format = Percent rather than standard

If you don't set the format to percent, Access will interpret 4.5 as 4.5 rather than .045
Pat.
Thank you for your suggestion, but it does not seem to work in MsAccess 2003, which we are using.

access2010

Registered User.
Local time
I must admit I am struggling to understand why any of you in the office cannot get this right? :(

You have been supplied details of what is required, you have been supplied a DB that shows it working and so what is needed, you have been supplied a video to also show what is needed. OK, you might not need percent on the table format, but I was expecting you to enter direct to the table as well?

So with a few small changes, you can get what you want working, but it seems to elude you.? :unsure:
Gasman
Thank you for your suggestion, but it does not seem to work in MsAccess 2003, which we are using.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Gasman
Absolute Nonsense :(
In your table you had the percentnumeric field as a Long Integer??????
Here is *your* DB back with the table corrected and a form just created from that table.

Attachments

• Percent_296.mdb
    360 KB · Views: 89

access2010

Registered User.
Local time
Thank you for your note and below is a screen shot from our computer
1603756358754.png

Nicole

Attachments

• Access_2003_Percent.mdb
    320 KB · Views: 95

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Ok, were are never going to solve this if you cannot follow reasonable simple instructions. :(

Your Double field is still set to Standard.
Your Single field is at percent and works correctly
Your incorrectly named Percent field is Long Integer !!!!

Also it will not magically change any entries in the table, you will have to correct those yourself.
Only after you have set the correct values for the table will you get what you ahve been searching for for over four months now.

You will also need to add the format to any forms using this field. If you create a new form from this table, it will inherit the Percent format from the table.
I have just added the last two rows with EXACTLY the same values.
1603794377986.png

I have changed the Single field back to General, so you can see what is actually stored in the table.

1603794521122.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom