political speeches (1 Viewer)

ajetrumpet

Banned
Local time
Yesterday, 18:35
how do they make you feel? i only have to watch one and i start feeling like i'm lying to myself even though i'm just listening to another person.

Alc

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 19:35
They rank up there with award ceremony speeches. There are only so many ways you can trot out the same old meaningless cliches. They're white noise, essentially.

ajetrumpet

Banned
Local time
They rank up there with award ceremony speeches. There are only so many ways you can trot out the same old meaningless cliches. They're white noise, essentially.

listened to joe biden the other day at a rally in iowa. couldn't take it for very long until i felt lower than sea level. :rolleyes:

Alc

Registered User.
Local time
Think about it, every politician comes out with the same general things with a few more specific ones, based on the groups they're most trying to suck up to.

The average person either doesn't care or has learned to ignore it. Those who have decided in advance that they will like/dislike the politician in question will somehow distinguish between them and swear blindly that person A is a man of hour while person B is a liar and doomed to fail.

The speech writers don't even need to make an effort now, as there's nothing that hasn't already been said.

Fifty2One

Legend in my own mind
Local time
Yesterday, 16:35
If you want to experience a strange feeling over political clout just watch a political speach in a language that you do not understand - you start to immediately wonder who the crazy person is behind the podium and who are the fools who are cheering the person on...

statsman

Local time
To paraphrase a line from the film "Inherit the Wind":

An old politician with new tricks or a new politician with old tricks.

Always remember, the best response to the question "Why would I lie to you?" is "Why would you tell me the truth?"

ajetrumpet

Banned
Local time
I went to Wal-Mart the other day and saw someone that couldn't distinguish between lies and the truth when spoken to her. Almost thought about telling her to ditch her TV set, but I held myself back.

Anyway, the point is that it mad me sad. Didn't feel better 'til I got back home

Alc

Registered User.
Local time
I went to Wal-Mart the other day and saw someone that couldn't distinguish between lies and the truth when spoken to her. Almost thought about telling her to ditch her TV set, but I held myself back.

Anyway, the point is that it mad me sad. Didn't feel better 'til I got back home
...and? You can't leave it there. What televisual lies were taking place?

ajetrumpet

Banned
Local time
...and? You can't leave it there. What televisual lies were taking place?
Anything Alc. Specifically, I was thinking about the last speech that biden gave, but that's just one piece of BS out of hundreds.

the other thing I thought of was an interview that the CEO of Wal-Mart gave when he said, "we deeply care about our employees". Make me even more sad if that woman watched that interview and believed it.

Adam Caramon

Local time
Aren't we a cynical bunch. What are the politicians supposed to say? "Hey guys, life sucks, we're doing horrible as a country at the moment and there's no end in sight. We're trying some stuff but we don't have any real idea if it will work. I'll let you know later as I hear stuff."

The fact of the matter is that most politicians really do want to help the people they represent, its just that their view of helping can be radically different from any guy on the street.

I'd love to see a push to elect poor or middle-class people. People who are willing to work hard but aren't born into rich families where everything is given to them. One of the biggest problems IMO is that your average congressman is a millionaire or close to it and they are representing the average joe whom they really can't relate to.

Overall, I think political speeches have the ability to inspire if they are done right. I think they are able to motivate us to do more, be more charitable, be more willing to help out, and to bring us together as a country. That sentiment is short-lived though as the feeling wanes away quickly unless you can capture it.

ajetrumpet

Banned
Local time
What are the politicians supposed to say? "Hey guys, life sucks, we're doing horrible as a country at the moment and there's no end in sight. We're trying some stuff but we don't have any real idea if it will work. I'll let you know later as I hear stuff."
Adam Cameron, that is JUST what this and every other country needs. Every hopeless idiot on this planet would walk around with their jaws to the ground. But then again, on the flip side, I'm sure the person that gave the speech would end up dead. Question is...who would kill em? The helpless idiot or the lying politician that has just been exposed?

Thales750

Formerly Jsanders
Local time
Adam Cameron, that is JUST what this and every other country needs. Every hopeless idiot on this planet would walk around with their jaws to the ground. But then again, on the flip side, I'm sure the person that gave the speech would end up dead. Question is...who would kill em? The helpless idiot or the lying politician that has just been exposed?
Wrong; that is not what people need.

People need to learn to be thankful for what they have, and focus more on what they can do to help, instead of relying on government.

Pauldohert

Something in here
Local time
Yesterday, 16:35
Wrong; that is not what people need.

People need to learn to be thankful for what they have, and focus more on what they can do to help, instead of relying on government.

Ask not what your bankers can do for you - ask what you can do for your bankers.

I think we are all a bit tired of that idea.

Thales750

Formerly Jsanders
Local time
Ask not what your bankers can do for you - ask what you can do for your bankers.

I think we are all a bit tired of that idea.
Oh I'm sorry did I leave out the second part?

Death to all the money lenders.

ajetrumpet

Banned
Local time
What planet are you from dude? Good luck with that dream.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom