Politics and coding (1 Viewer)

Do we all want the same thing or should we stick to civil war?

• We all want the same thing

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Civil war

• What a silly question

• Total voters

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Today, 09:40
A while back, I asked for opinions in the VBA forum about usage of the Switch statements vs If Then Else. Both essentially want the same end result, but go about it via different means. Opinions differed.

This got me thinking about the similarities between politics and coding.

Do we all just want the same thing, a happy life for all, whichever side of the divide you are on? Or should we just stick to civil war?

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Today, 01:40
I can't vote because of the options! Sheesh, Jon - :)

I am one of those people who do not believe the 1st option is actually true. (I'd love to think it is, but don't actually believe that).
However, it's quite something to require me to jump from that to civil war. I guess I had to choose Silly Question if I had to choose between those 3--but I don't really think it's a silly topic.

Or maybe I am just confused on the precise meaning of the first option. Do we all want a happy life? I think that is a true statement. Do we all believe in the same way of getting there? Certainly not.

Psychologists have begun studying Happiness as a discipline, and even pop liberal ones have the "happy life" is lower on the totem pole than the "meaningful/full life". And therein lies a lot of differences.

While we ALL crave (to some degree or another), the "happy feelings" that come from eating a delicious plate of food, s*x, $, etc., we tend to disagree much more strongly on what constitutes the meaningful life. Most psychologists agree that it comes from a full engagement and being "given toward" something greater than yourself , or engaged in your passion. Lotta room for differences there. : )

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Today, 09:40
It is a silly question. I just want people to have some fun with it. But there is an underlying curiosity on the answers. The naive part of me wants everybody to seek the same thing. The reality may be somewhat different. Perhaps that is because utopia is a figment of the imagination, rather than what nature and reality represents.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
I think, fortunately or unfortunately, religion (in this term I'm referring to ANY other-worldly beliefs of any kind, including those who hastily reassure that they are spiritual but not religious!) plays a big part in defining categories. Because, religion makes it possible for some people to think beyond "everyone's maximum happiness/happy emotions", and basically adds in an "ought" to "can", thus doubling the possibilities.........What we can do or want to do, vs. what we ought to do.

It would be simpler if 100% of the world was 100% non-religious. Practically everyone other than a psychopath or a sadistic or masochistic person would be striving for the exact same goal: To be happy. Those with a more altruistic streak would be also striving for "others" to be happy, but happiness would always be the core goal.

But once you add in the "ought to do" in addition to "can do" or "want to do", it gets more complicated and less homogenous.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 03:40
It doesn't matter what we want. Most philosophers I have heard on this subject (admittedly a limited subset of ALL philosophers) say it is not the goal but the journey that counts. Do we all want a peaceful life? Probably - but define exactly what you mean by "peaceful" and then tell me how you are going to get there. If you go the path of riots and demonstrations that turn violent, then you don't know the meaning of peace. Unless, of course, you mean the peace of the grave for your opponents.

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Civil war baby!! :p

Generally I think we want the same things, we just differ on how to get there. I'm a pretty staunch libertarian married (over 25 years) to a democrat (to the point of being a delegate to the national convention in Atlanta many moons ago). While we differ on issues sometimes and joke about cancelling each other's vote out every 4 years, we know each other's character and respect each other. We actually agree on a lot of things, particularly at the local levels.

It's funny that for both of us, this last election was a lesser of evils choice. She doesn't like Biden but hates Trump with a passion. I think that comes mainly from his attitudes/statements about women. Also his perceived racial bias (think the Proud Boys statement).

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 04:40
I see the current divide as one group of people who want to live and let live and another group of people who will do anything including steal an election to control the other folks so they can punish them for believing something different.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Not at all happily, but I have to agree with Pat on that statement. For the most part I believe conservatives do want to live and let live. The other side wants to control everyone's thoughts and statements, way too much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom