Populate Form - wondering about a method (1 Viewer)

David44Coder

Local time
Today, 23:16
I want to display some data in an array to an unbound datasheet form.
Usually the data would be in a table and the Form bound to it.
BUT can this be achieved without a table - i.e write to the Form directly as it it were a spreadsheet?
How could you move to each new record or row?

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 05:16
OK, to the limited extent that I understand the mechanism of a datasheet, it cannot be unbound because it isn't capable of taking data from something that is not based on a recordset. Has to do with the way it is generated. Query is OK, table is OK. Memory array... not so much.

You can manually build a form that maybe would LOOK like a datasheet but would NOT be a datasheet. You could populate it manually, but if you wanted to scroll it, you would have to program the effect of rippling rows up or down, which might look a little ragged.

However, there is always the option to use a temporary table, which you would erase and then fill in, after which you could display it as a legit datasheet form. That temporary table could be scrolled very easily as part of a datasheet.

Stated another way - don't re-invent a perfectly good wheel called the Access datasheet. Turn the array into a recordset and use the scrolling method that already exists. The datasheet pseudo-form requires a table but it doesn't have to be some astounding data structure. It just has to look like a table. Load up the array and be done with it.

June7

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 02:16
Why do this? Where does the data populating array come from?

David44Coder

Local time
Today, 23:16
Thanks for the replies and advice taken on board. It was as developing this I suddenly thought why populate a table if I can put the data straight into a form. It was/is just a temporary display.
But couldn't see how to.. then got hung up on is that possible or not.
I've gone with the temp table idea and all working nicely.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 06:16
So, you are writing code that generates data into an array that will never be saved but which you want to display on a form?

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 10:16
I want to display some data in an array to an unbound datasheet form.
Usually the data would be in a table and the Form bound to it.
BUT can this be achieved without a table - i.e write to the Form directly as it it were a spreadsheet?

could really do with a clearer explanation of what you want to do

- where does this data come from? created in code? download from web? something else?
- what does it look like - an example would help
- is the data consistent for each column?
- does the data need to be navigable (sort/filter)
- does the data need to be editable?

for a form you could consider using a ADO disconnected recordset instead of an array

Or perhaps use a listbox populated with a value list instead of a form

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 06:16
A Listbox can be loaded using VBA. It doesn't need to be bound. I don't have any example code but you should be able to find some and figure out how to substitute reading an array for reading a table to load the ListBox's RowSource. You can use the Listbox as a substitute form for display.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 05:16
There is a limit to loading the listbox with literal string data where each element is separated by commas and each row is separated by semi-colons. There appears to be a limit of 32K characters for the string that defines the content of the listbox. How many characters you can put in a field depends on how you break up the rows and fields.

I have also found references that suggest that no "standard" listbox row can exceed 255 bytes in width, so you have limits on individual rows.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 10:16
which is why we need some idea of the actual requirement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom