Potential typo (1 Viewer)

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 10:29
In theory up to 255 concurrent users. However performance starts to suffer once you get more than about 20-30 users simultaneously.
With (say) 100 or more, performance will be very poor and corruption may occur when connections get dropped

With large numbers of concurrent users, SQL Server or equivalent should be used as the BE for both stability and security

zeroaccess

Local time
Today, 05:29
From Luke Chung at FMS Software Development Team Blog:

What’s the Maximum Number of Microsoft Access Users?

There is a persistent myth that Microsoft Access Jet databases can only support 20 or so users. Here’s my response to a recent inquiry:

I flatly refute any suggestions that Microsoft Access users are limited to around 30. We’ve run many tests and have never seen that kind of degradation in performance. It is a myth from Access 2.0 days that was eliminated with Access 97 almost two decades ago.

A poorly designed Access database won’t support two users, but a well designed Access solution can support hundreds of users. Of course, what matters is the number of simultaneous users, and what they’re doing.

So a mention of a well-designed database would be fine to support a claim to 100-200 users. Of course, it depends on what users are doing.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 10:29
Note Luke's comment about simultaneous users which was my point.

My schools apps had 200+ users. For most of the time that was fine as not all were on at once.
However at 'peak times' such as morning/afternoon registration, 100+ users were logged in and trying to enter data at once.
The system became unusable and we suffered a lot of corruption.
As a result we upsized to a SQL Server BE. Both problems solved instantly

zeroaccess

Local time
Today, 05:29
Note Luke's comment about simultaneous users which was my point.

My schools apps had 200+ users. For most of the time that was fine as not all were on at once.
However at 'peak times' such as morning/afternoon registration, 100+ users were logged in and trying to enter data at once.
The system became unusable and we suffered a lot of corruption.
As a result we upsized to a SQL Server BE. Both problems solved instantly
Yup. So maybe a more nuanced answer than "15" is appropriate.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 03:29
Hi. As Colin said, in theory, more than 15 is possible. Mileage vary because all database projects are not created equal and users have different environments. I agree, somewhere around 20-25 is practical. Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom