Powershell: Seeking ideas to practice useful scripts in non-administrator mode (1 Viewer)

Aurelius

Local time
Today, 18:53
I'm beginning to learn Powershell, within an environment where I do not have administrator rights and do not perform any I.T. admin type of tasks on this machine.

I've learned that Powershell, while I'm sure it can do a variety of things across both categories, is kind of intended more for the I.T. admin type audience.

I've recently learned Powershell and I've found it really powerful for non admin tasks. I'm currently using it to modify a game to be dual language. It solves the problem of wanting to immerse myself in a language but not knowing enough to be able to do what I need to do in that language. You also learn a language more efficiently when your comprehension is always 95%+. This solves that problem for the two languages I'm learning.

I'm at a beginner level in Russian but an advanced level in French. It works for both. I can play my game and learn my language at the same time.

It works like this

1. Load a list of known words in my target language (Russian or French ).
2. Load the RU or FR game files, and iterate through each sentence
3. Compare the sentence to my known word list and count the "unknown" words
4. If the unknown words are less than 1, that means I know every word in the sentence.
5. Insert this target language sentence into the equivalent in my native language
6. Save, and I get a dual language file. It's all in unicode, so the game doesn't know the difference

Then I load the game in my native language and I get stuff I don't know in English, and stuff I do know in Russian\French

It took me a weekend to build a prototype in Powershell without knowing any Powershell. I don't think I could have done it that quick with Python.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom